• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sparrow will never be snake food.

Radish

Mama Doe
Hi

Please meet Sparrow a four month old doe who until a couple of hours ago was destined to be dinner for a snake.

P5050148.jpg

P5050152.jpg

Luckily her cagemate a black and white buck has also found a safe place to stay and will no longer be lunch, i'm really pleased i didn't have to take both here otherwise space would have been so tight for everyone.

my only slight concern is that until this morning they were living together in the same tiny cage...does anybody know whether it is possible for her to be pregnant at all.

she is very fluffy with a longish coat but underneath she is very boney, she has a slightly pot belly and i'm going to start her on a course of panacur tonight.

awww bless - how brilliant you've saved her :D I would hold off on the panacur as she could be pregnant :(

what age is the earliest they can become pregnant?

also can i have her vaccinated for myxo this week or should i leave that too?

i've put her in an indoor cage and put it outside so she gets fresh air after being cooped up in a tiny cage in the dark.

how can she be snake food??!
she is soooooooooooooo cute

you were very wise to save her! well done! :love:

You can give Panacur to a pregnant doe provided it dosn't cause her stress to administer.

Aww well done she's lovely. Pregnancy is a possibility at that age, especially in the smaller breeds. I'm so pleased you have been able to offer her a chance at a happy life.:D

You can give Panacur to a pregnant doe provided it dosn't cause her stress to administer.

thanks for that, she's very placid.. i've been able to thoroughly examine her.

i need to cut her nails which i will do later...she's had a bit of a binky around in the cage and i've just been out and bought a few toys to do her for now.

she's eating and drinking although she seems to like putting both front feet in the water bowl to drink from it.

any idea if she can be vaccinated if pregnant?

I *think* VHD is safe in pregnancy but not Myxomatosis....do check with your vet though.

thanks guys.

what is the earliest age they can become pregnant?

today is the latest she could have been made pregnant but i need to work out a rough idea of when to expect things to happen.

how quickly does it become obvious they are pregnant or is it not obvious?

do i need to do anything for her in particular if she is?

If she is sadly pregnant i will keep however many babies she has and offer them a forever home with me....it's the least i can do for her....but it will mean i'll have to bring forward the shed construction and hutch purchasing:D

thanks guys.

what is the earliest age they can become pregnant?

today is the latest she could have been made pregnant but i need to work out a rough idea of when to expect things to happen.

how quickly does it become obvious they are pregnant or is it not obvious?

do i need to do anything for her in particular if she is?

If she is sadly pregnant i will keep however many babies she has and offer them a forever home with me....it's the least i can do for her....but it will mean i'll have to bring forward the shed construction and hutch purchasing:D

From as young as 3 months in some cases. Its usually obvious by about 21 days but then only if you know what your looking for.

You can have a vet check her for babies by palpating her abdomen. Its horrid to say but as she is so young you may want to consider an emergency spey...its an option the vet may discuss with you.

I would get her vet checked anyway and ask about the possibility of pregnancy then.

Back