• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD jab..Worried

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
Hi, two of my bunnies are due there VHD jabs on monday. Im worried as i have heard of bunnies having side effects?

Any advice on what to look out for and if theres anything i can do?!

Thanks...:)

I had my three done last week and no side effects. The ones you might want to look out for are though:

Limping - It doesn't need to be checked out unless it goes on for some time but should be reported to your vet.

A scab where the injection was - Massaging the area three of four times in a 25 hour period will help. This is nothing to worry about

Being out of sorts - Your bun might be a bit quiet after. But only take them back to the vets if they stop eating/pooing start grinding thier teeth and so on.

I think some other members have had some bunnys fitting or other very serious reactions. These are very rare and obviously should be checked out straight away.

As long as your bunny is fit and well and has had at least 2 week between VHD and mixi jab (preferably a bit more) they should be fine.

Honey's is due next month and she had the following. She had to go back and have two injections. I am also worried about it and will talk to the vet when I go.

Sneezing
Not eating
Sitting hunched up in a corner

Although reactions to VHD to happen, they are quite rare in most cases. We lost Rory after his last month and whilst we do believe his death was connected to the jab, it is also likely that he had a hidden problem which contributed to this. You are doing the right thing getting your buns vaccinated:D Just keep an eye on them after but im sure they will be fine. Try not to worry

alvin got the limp after his cyclap one... so i think that must be what my vets use as standard.. pearl had the other one at hopper haven so ill see how she reacts in august :shock::shock:

Which do i want my vet to use?!
Also it will be exactly two weeks is this okay?!
xx
I such a worrier!!!
xx

Which do i want my vet to use?!
Also it will be exactly two weeks is this okay?!
xx
I such a worrier!!!
xx

which ever your vet is confident with....:D:D

i think i need to read less info on the net and trust the bloke who did the years and years of training.... ste delivered a pizza to my vet today and he started talking about an email i sent about pain relief and stasis (ste had no idea i sent an email) i think my vet sees me as annoying :oops::oops::oops:

which ever your vet is confident with....:D:D

i think i need to read less info on the net and trust the bloke who did the years and years of training.... ste delivered a pizza to my vet today and he started talking about an email i sent about pain relief and stasis (ste had no idea i sent an email) i think my vet sees me as annoying :oops::oops::oops:

Lol o dear!
Okay i hope they will be okay!
Is there a time i need to limit them as i want to bond them if that makes sense?!

Lol o dear!
Okay i hope they will be okay!
Is there a time i need to limit them as i want to bond them if that makes sense?!

to tell you the truth im worried about pearl getting the jab if shes had the other one :oops::oops:

limit them to what??

Back