• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does eating paper harm rabbits?

sam_shinton84

Young Bun
Hi all!
Flo is getting really bad for eating the newspaper we lay in her cage. She comes out every night when we get home from work, so usually has 5 hours run of the house in the week, and most of the day at weekends. While she is out, she seems to look for things to eat, like newspapers, skirting boards and even my coffee tables now!
I'm beginning to get concerned at the effects this may have on her health, as unless I am by her side the entire time I cannot be sure if she is eating anything she is not supposed to, plus I want her to have a bit of freedom.
I know I have gone on a bit but, can anyone tell me if this is dangerous to rabbits? Also, what can I do to stop her from doing this?

Thanks in advance.

all of my bunnies tear up and chew the newspaper I put in as lining. i did read somewhere that it doesnt do them a lot of good, but mine havent had any serious effects from it.:)

a lady who came to me for a rescue rabbit has a girl bunny and she had serious stomach problems, when they opened her up, she was blocked with newspaper!

IMO I think paper 'blockages' occur much like trichobezoars.....secondary to a primary GI stasis problem because so many rabbits eat paper and cardboard and so few ever suffer issues from doing so.

Blimey,Billy is always chewing paper....junk mail,yellow pages,cheque book:( and his most favourite is wallpaper!

Have to say he seems fine on it!

My vet told me that her bunny once ate her new tax disc for her car!!!!

They eat wallpaper because they like the taste of the paste. Lexie eats envelope glue strips if she can reach them and will also try her luck with sellotape :?

Fae and Joey have been loving eating the paper in their dig box just lately. At first i was worried but its done them absolutely no harm and theyve scoffed tons :lol: silly buns. I personally would be cautious of things with ink though (like newspaper)...better off safe

Blimey,Billy is always chewing paper....junk mail,yellow pages,cheque book:( and his most favourite is wallpaper!

Have to say he seems fine on it!

My vet told me that her bunny once ate her new tax disc for her car!!!!

Can you imagine the conversation if they got caught by the police?

"I'm sorry officer, but my rabbit ate my tax disc!" :rolleyes:

Also, what can I do to stop her from doing this?

Basically you have to find something more interesting for her to do. Which sounds a lot easier than it is :lol:

If you are using newspaper as flooring it may be she's digging and shredding it as part of digging activities. A large box filled with things suitable to dig in might tempt her.

Food activities are also good - make sure she has plenty of hay, use a treat ball for dry food instead of a bowl, and hide her veggies to give her something to do.

Things that are suitable for chewing such as willow toys are also a good alternative :)

A large cardboard box(es) will probably keep her off the walls.

Tam

Back