• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wood pellets as litter?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hiya

I am looking for litter in my local pet shop. They have wood pellet cat litter. Is this ok for rabbits to use? Is it safe if they nibble it?

I just use a layer of newspaper in Upton's litter tray and then hay on top.

It's changed eveyday and the tray is washed.

Some animals can get runny eyes and noses from wood based cat litter (I had a Siamese cat that couldn't use it).

There is evidence that the volatile oils in wood products can cause some problems in small animals but there are plenty of people that have used shavings for years with no problems.

I use wood pellet litter for the outside buns (Squidgy refuses to use it:roll:) and they've been find with it. It means I don't have to clean out every day as well.
I put lots of hay on top, and then top up the hay.
Salt is prone to snuffles, but the litter hasn't set him off.

I use it for all the indoor rabbits and havn't encountered any issues with it plus it much tidier than other substrates.

Maverick did eat a few pellets when he was a baby (and was fine) but the general consensus seems to be they dont taste that good.

I've always used wood cat litter and never had any problems with it, Charlie has been seen eating a piece on a couple of occassions but he's just turned 9 so it can't have done any harm.

I've found the advantage of using somehting distinct like cat litter is that wherever they go, I just put a tray down and they know its to wee in. I used to put hay on top but then they associated hay with weeing and started weeing under their hay rack where the hay fell out and making a mess.

youu can get a big bag of cat litter wood pellets from wilkinsons we do that it lasts ages and is the best litter weve tried for the bunnies no smell we add hay on top so they something to munch while they do their business
a big bag in wilks only cost 3-99 its a bargain

Yep ive used it, theres also a cat litter that is paper based and is advertised as safe for bunnies and rats, mine prefer that because its softer, had no problems with either though :)

My 2 use Bio-catolet (someone from this site advised it) and its great. They were on sawdust which isn't good for them and blew all over the garden. This way I don't even have to clean our the full tray only the corners they wee in.

Good stuff.:D

I use wood based cat litter. They have had no problems with it. I think it is better as it is heavier so it doesnt go everywhere!!!:D

i used to use it and alvin used to sneeze, i only noticed he stopped when i changed to megazorb, i thought it was the hay :lol:

now i only put the megazorb in the large underbed storage box (its where madam pee does her business most) and just newspaper in the two little trays... Alvin tends to use the little trays so i think his little nose dont think much of any litter :oops:

My 2 use Bio-catolet (someone from this site advised it) and its great. They were on sawdust which isn't good for them and blew all over the garden. This way I don't even have to clean our the full tray only the corners they wee in.

Good stuff.:D

Thats the name i was looking for!!! I use that too

My experiences of cat litters so far!:

Clay-based (e.g. Thomas)
Positives - It's very cheap and easy to get hold of
Negatives - It's very dirty as it turns to mud when it's wet plus it's heavy and quite dusty.

Paper-based (e.g. Bob Martin's)
Positives - More expensive than clay but cheaper than wood-based, plus it's
light enough to sieve the pills out of it which saves a lot of litter
Negatives - It's a bit dirty as it sticks to things when it's wet, it's a bit dusty and because it's so light may blow around for those with outdoor buns :). Plus I think it smells more than the wood-based (the litter itself smells funny too!)

Wood-based (e.g. Wilko's - which is at least £1 cheaper than most places!)
Positives - Smells nice, isn't dusty and is very absorbent.
Negatives - Is the most expensive of the ones I've tried (though still not extortionate) and is hard to separate litter from pills.

I know some folks put hay in their litter trays - I only use a very small bit, otherwise she pees in her bed. None of the litters I've tried seem to have caused any problems, but I try and avoid anything too dusty as it's bad for her eyes.

Tray tip!

One thing I have found that works really well is putting a brick in the corner of Scotch's tray. Because I've only the one bun it decreases the size of the tray so it's easier to clean, it weighs it down so if she steps on the edge it doesn't flick up and scare her, plus she backs against the brick to pee and then the wet goes underneath so when she digs she doesn't spread the wet stuff everywhere :D Works for me!

Ooops :shock: - I hated it anyway. I know you shouldn't use a clumping litter, but it said it was none-clumping. I was experimenting!

I use it for my hamsters with no probs - it last ages and is really good at absobing odours. I've just started using it for my lionhead as it doesn't get tangled in his fur so much as hay does. I just give him a hayrack for eating.

Back