• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New kits - best practice!

nilla

New Kit
Hi, our beautiful bunny gave birth to 4 kits on Tuesday April 1st, and all appears to be going well. Mum is calm, so I have checked the nest twice - including once today and babes are all warm and wiggly!

Anyway, as this is a first (and unplanned!) - pregnancy I have a few questions, but before I go on I'll confirm Dad (- Yes we thought he was a girl!) was removed a few days before the birth and is happily living alongside his 'partner' seperated by a divider and somewhat bemused!

1. My rabbits live outdoors in a large run (now with a temporary divider) and the nest is inside the hutch within the run. But snow is forecast! The hutch is fairly well insulated and draught proof - but do we need to do more to protect the babies?

2. Should I clean / change nesting material at all?

3. When the babes do finally leave the nest is it ok for them to come down on to the grass and nibble - or should we put in a barrier to stop them nibbling grass before their digestive systems are ready?

4. I have read so much about the mums eating their babes that I daren't disturb the nest too much, but am concerned in case there are any dead babes below? Should I check more thoroughly?

All advice appreciated - thanks

QUOTE=nilla;2375574]Hi, our beautiful bunny gave birth to 4 kits on Tuesday April 1st, and all appears to be going well. Mum is calm, so I have checked the nest twice - including once today and babes are all warm and wiggly!

Anyway, as this is a first (and unplanned!) - pregnancy I have a few questions, but before I go on I'll confirm Dad (- Yes we thought he was a girl!) was removed a few days before the birth and is happily living alongside his 'partner' seperated by a divider and somewhat bemused!

1. My rabbits live outdoors in a large run (now with a temporary divider) and the nest is inside the hutch within the run. But snow is forecast! The hutch is fairly well insulated and draught proof - but do we need to do more to protect the babies?
No you do not need to do anything if mum has made a good nest and pulled lots of fur. If your still worried add a bit more straw/hay

NO leave the nest alone until the babies are out of it about 2/3 weeks you can clean the rest of the hutch just not the nest area.

3. When the babes do finally leave the nest is it ok for them to come down on to the grass and nibble - or should we put in a barrier to stop them nibbling grass before their digestive systems are ready?
Let the babies follow mum. My only worry would be how they acces the run as they may fall off a ramp not be able to get back to the warmth of the nest. They will start leaving the nest from about 10 days and mum will not put them back in the hutch

4. I have read so much about the mums eating their babes that I daren't disturb the nest too much, but am concerned in case there are any dead babes below? Should I check more thoroughly?If the doe is happy with you being there then yes check if not check when the does in the run dead babies will cool the nest down and that could kill the other babies

All advice appreciated - thanks[/QUOTE]

It's fine for the babies to nibble grass as thats what mum is eating and they'll start to nibble gradually not pig out in one go :)

Sounds like you've been pretty thorough to me! Just make sure the mum has plenty of nesting material available so she can add to the nest if the babies get too cold.

Nope, you shouldn't disturb the nest until the babies leave it permanently (about 3 weeks I think, and I think that's already been covered in another post!). Clean the rest of the hutch around the nest but don't touch the nest itself.

In the wild they'd follow mum out of the burrow and onto grass, so no, they should be fine. Don't feed them any veggies though as this can upset their delicate tummies, just plenty of hay and a small quantity of good quality high-fibre pellets.

4. I have read so much about the mums eating their babes that I daren't disturb the nest too much, but am concerned in case there are any dead babes below? Should I check more thoroughly?

Dead babies lower the nest temperature which can be dangerous for the others. Rub your hands in some of the hutch so that your hands smell like mum, and wait until mum's in the run (you could get a second person to distract her with a favourite treat!). Gently check the nest being careful not to disturb it too much.

Good luck! Will the babies be staying with you or will they be looking for new homes?

AMETHYST

one more q - new kits

Thank you for all this advice - so good that it is consistent at last. I've read so much conflicting advice!

This is a bizarre question I think but how long is it before the risk of mum eating babies passes? I just can't stop worrying about that - my daughter would be devastated!

We have some close friends interested in two buns each - I simply won't let anyone have just one! So if there is an odd number my daughter will be delighted as we will keep one! If no one will have 2 - then we will keep two! Plenty of space!

I suspect it will be heart rendering to pass them on!

Anyone know the answer?

Hi, my little cuties are 5 days new now, and 3 of 4 have definite fur colour and markings showing - how long is there a risk of mum eating babies? Anyone Know? Has that risk now passed?

You should be fairly safe now although it is still a possibility sadly. But id say you should be fine now xx

Mum will only eat her babies if she feels they are unsafe. It sounds as though you are doing a good job, and as long as you inspect them the way in which Amythest said in her post, you should be fine.

When you do eventually rehome them, get your vet to sex them for you (best done at around 8 weeks, athough some say 6). This way someone else wont end up in the same situation you were in.

Male - Female pairs work best like you say. So perhaps neutering them before they go to their new homes would be a good idea.

good luck and do post pics

Mum will only eat her babies if she feels they are unsafe. It sounds as though you are doing a good job, and as long as you inspect them the way in which Amythest said in her post, you should be fine.

/QUOTE]

If a baby dies they sometimes start to eat the body as in the wild a rotting body would be a strong smell to a predator like a fox.

Back