• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

tad bit confused!!!

ok just read on a thread that broccoli should not be fed every day:shock:!!!
I give bert some every day :oops:is there any veg you can give every day????????

I give spring greens or Italian lettuce mix nearly everyday with a few other bits mixed in.

I use at least 3 types of veggie everyday and rotate them so they get a good variety. Each bunny gets a 5" bowl full per day.

The reason brocolli should not be fed everyday is its high calcium concentrate which can cause bladder sludge/stones. Its also a culprit for causing bloat in sensitive bunnies.

I give broccoli every day but only a little bit :? but my rabbits don't seem to have a problem with it; all rabbits are different.

I feed celery most days, I presume that's ok because it's not particularly high in calcium.

I give spring greens or Italian lettuce mix nearly everyday with a few other bits mixed in.

I use at least 3 types of veggie everyday and rotate them so they get a good variety. Each bunny gets a 5" bowl full per day.

The reason brocolli should not be fed everyday is its high calcium concentrate which can cause bladder sludge/stones. Its also a culprit for causing bloat in sensitive bunnies.

I thought the opposite, I've been giving Meredith broccoli everyday instead of spring green because I thought it was lower in calcium as she has a kidney stone already.

My info states that spring green has 210mg calcium per 100g , whereas broccoli only has 56mg calcium per 100g.

If thats wrong please let me know as obviously I don't want to put Meredith at a greater risk

What you have to remember is that they can eat far more spring greens than the brocolli which is much denser..so a large amount of spring greens could have the same amount of calcium as a small amount of brocolli ..I think:?:lol:

What you have to remember is that they can eat far more spring greens than the brocolli which is much denser..so a large amount of spring greens could have the same amount of calcium as a small amount of brocolli ..I think:?:lol:

Thats what I thought too Hilda...
but now Im confused.

Then again *touch wood* I havn't had a calcium problem to date.

That would make sense as obviously broccolli does weigh heavier than greens.

I'll let meredith have some greens then as she loves them.

Ive been feeding my buns broccoli stems every night. Have to say I only give them a little mixed with their food. What are good vegs to give? I only give them carrots and broccoli right now as i'm scared to try new veg incase they get an upset tummy.

Dudley and Hayden had spring greens when they were with me :D You can introduce new veg to a buns diet as long as you do it slowly.

Whilst they were here with us they would have tried spring greens, carrot, celery, cucumber, apple, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, rocket and I do remember that they really liked swede :)

Sorry ... just realised this wasn't Jenzel's thread! :oops: Anyway, the list above is of all the things our bunnies like!

Last edited:
Thanks. I will get a couple new things for them to try tomorrow. :wave::D ooohh its exciting. I know it's silly but I love shopping for the buns more than for myself! I went in to town yest to try and get my o/h some bday prezzies. I came back with a subway and a bag of goodies for the buns lol.

I give Fudge and Scampi broccoli every day (they get 2 small florets each) as this was what I was told to give them from the RSPCA who I got them from. They fed them broccoli, cauliflower, kale or cabbage or spring greens, carrots, suede, celery and apple. They only have a small amount of apple as it is quite sugary. They get the veg and greens once a day in the evening and in the morning they have a small amount of pellets. Their main diet is hay of which I feed them herbage which is timothy hay with dandelions and marigold.

Does anyone know if you can feed bunnies spinach or beans? I know they are ok with sprouts.

ok thanks for the advice I ll start to introduce some celery and spring greens into berts diet and give him smaller portions of broccoli, he isnt going to be happy, he loves it:(

Mine eat spring greens every day.Broccli once or twice a week,carrot once or twice a week.They also get celery,flat leaf parsly,mint,corriander and basil.Also in moderation kale,apple,banana,grape,corn,green beans and tomato.

Back