• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

is it acceptable to give up a bunny because....

charlie82

Mama Doe
it does not like being handled????
I would just like opinions on this...I have been on another forum and one of the posters has been getting advice for the past two months on how to help their baby lionhead become more friendly. It seems that she is not a bunny that likes to be petted (I have plenty of those) and although they said things were improving they now say they have given up and gone out and bought a four week old lionhead who is very friendly, so they are going to rehome their other bun.
I suggested spaying and they claim that although they adore this rabbit they can't justify paying out the money when it isn't guaranteed that she will become a lap bunny, and don't seem to even care about the health benefits of spaying.
personally this infuriates me because they just see the rabbit as disposable but now I'm debating with a regular member on there who incidentally is a breeder.. (I'm not saying anything bad about that, but she is a large scale hanging wire cage breeder from what I know. We never agree on anything because she doesn't see them as pets in the same sense although I know other breeders do and care very well for them).

personally i don't think that is a good reason. I have 2 that don't like to be stroked or picked up although they love to hand feed. I would never consider giving them up for this reason

personally i don't think that is a good reason. I have 2 that don't like to be stroked or picked up although they love to hand feed. I would never consider giving them up for this reason

Me too.. I just get so frustrated with this other board member because if I dare to say anything or disagree with anyone she instantly starts insulting the fact I am more interested in rescue rather than breeding. She seems to think all people that rescue do so to fill some emotional hole we must have missing and we do it for our benefits as opposed the the rabbits. I'm interested in rescue because I love rabbits not to make me feel better about myself.

i am new to rabbits but i dont think thats a good reason either. My daughter whom is nearly 3 has never been one for affection, but i wouldnt give her up for being herself, for a more affectionate child! i see my bun in the same way! We have had him nearly 2 weeks now and in that time he has settled in great, though i very much doubt he will ever become a lap bun, and yes i had nice thoughts of him sat on my lap or having a cuddle, but thats just the way he is and i adore him. I would never give him up for anything.

i am new to rabbits but i dont think thats a good reason either. My daughter whom is nearly 3 has never been one for affection, but i wouldnt give her up for being herself, for a more affectionate child! i see my bun in the same way! We have had him nearly 2 weeks now and in that time he has settled in great, though i very much doubt he will ever become a lap bun, and yes i had nice thoughts of him sat on my lap or having a cuddle, but thats just the way he is and i adore him. I would never give him up for anything.

I did actually use the child analogy :lol: But since they see me as a raving loon for actually caring about a rabbit so much they think it's silly. I guess not all people care about their pets as much...but I find it insulting that they claim they do.:shock:

certainly not - apart from anything else, he will have to live with someone whatever his temperament - she's basically saying its ok for someone else to have to deal with him but she cant be bothered - who does she think she is?!

also, when you take on an animal you make a commitment to it, you dont just swap it for a "better" one like its a car.

If you have an aggressive rabbit are you are not confident enough to handle it then yes, I think giving it up is an option. For example if you're not able to check it's bum that could have welfare implications.

Obviously you should taken advice from a behaviour expert first - if you're causing the issue getting a different rabbit won't help.

However buying a 4 week old rabbit isn't a good way to solve the issue. They'd be better neutering & rehoming the first one then adopting an adult with a known personality.

I know....I just said it must be a lot easier to rehome a problematic pet in the US as it is here...it's hard enough to rehome perfect pets.

I don't have alot to say about breeding as I don't like to debate and I see both points of view, but I refuse to have a breeder say that just because I choose to rescue doesn't mean that I should suggest others shouldn't too. She also said that if it wasn't for people like this giving their other rabbit up that people like me would have their fill as their would be no rabbits to rehome??? what's that about?

If you have an aggressive rabbit are you are not confident enough to handle it then yes, I think giving it up is an option. For example if you're not able to check it's bum that could have welfare implications.

Obviously you should taken advice from a behaviour expert first - if you're causing the issue getting a different rabbit won't help.

However buying a 4 week old rabbit isn't a good way to solve the issue. They'd be better neutering & rehoming the first one then adopting an adult with a known personality.

Tamsin, the rabbit is just shy and in no way aggressive. She hand feeds treats but just doesn't like to be petted. I have one just like that and whilst she hates being handled I am still able to check her over, clip nails etc.....

I would also never consider having done everything I could when I hadn't even considered neutering. If their new bunny is so friendly I would have thought it a better option to try and bond the rabbits and keep them as a pair. This rabbit is only four and a half months old....

My Lolly hates being touched, I have occasionally stroked her when distracting her with food but she is a right mare but i wouldn't ever give her up or think about trading her in for another one!

id never get rid of Alvin, i have accepted that hell never be a fuss bun.. it dont take away what an amazing boy her really is.... im shocked people would get rid cus they cant cuddle thier bunny :cry::cry::cry::cry:

My Lolly hates being touched, I have occasionally stroked her when distracting her with food but she is a right mare but i wouldn't ever give her up or think about trading her in for another one!

awww I have one of those too. Intially she was very very aggressive, but after six months of patience and managing to avoid being bitten too badly she eventually softened with me and now is happy to take food from me, hop around me etc but will almost have a hissy fit if I try to catch her. I have to herd her into her cage because she has a tendancy to scream if I try it any other way!! typical female....

id never get rid of Alvin, i have accepted that hell never be a fuss bun.. it dont take away what an amazing boy her really is.... im shocked people would get rid cus they cant cuddle thier bunny :cry::cry::cry::cry:

I guess different people have different limits... I accept that but I still think they give up too easily.

What's going to happen when the baby reaches maturity and starts to get wilder? :?
I once did consider giving Zakura up but she was plain aggressive, it was almost impossible to get near to feed her without being bitten...but I couldn't give her up either so I just got another rabbit...then I ended up with one biting annoying rabbit and one kind and cuddly one:lol: Also Zakura improved after neutering, but she has never been a lap bunny. Plenty of rabbits dislike being handled, its against their nature and when people pick them up they could think they've been trapped by a predator.So if you've GOT to have a cuddly pet that will sit still on your lap, I don't think a rabbit is the right pet. (I'd suggest a plushie but that's just me:roll:)

I agree with Tamsin that if the owner's inability to handle the rabbit is having an impact on it's welfare then yes, I think it is acceptable to rehome the rabbit.

Even if it's not aggressive someone not entirely confident with rabbits might find it difficult to do a health check on a struggling bun and so all sorts could go unnoticed. Our old bun was very difficult to handle (though that was by no means the reason we rehomed her) and though she wasn't aggressive with it she was very powerful and when she started struggling in earnest it could get pretty hairy :?

However, if it's merely a case of the rabbit isn't cuddly enough for the owner then no, it's not really a good enough reason to rehome it. I don't see rabbits really as cuddly creatures anyway an I think it's a misconception that a lot of people have that buns are great pets to pick up and cuddle all the time.

i admit i thought rabbits were cuddly when i first got alvin, visions of him sitting on the couch with me as we watched tv *dreams*

turns out with me and the dog theres no room and the shear pleasure of watching him groom in my presence or happy flop totally relaxed well away from my lap is much much more amazing :D:D:D:D

I think if you want a cuddly pet then don't get a rabbit - some are cuddly but you're more likely to get cuddles off a cat or dog. When this silly girl's new baby gets to 4 months old it will be the same story again more than likely :roll:

someone not entirely confident with rabbits might find it difficult to do a health check on a struggling bun and so all sorts could go unnoticed.

thats what ste is for in this house ;):lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Alvin terrifies me :shock:

awww I have one of those too. Intially she was very very aggressive, but after six months of patience and managing to avoid being bitten too badly she eventually softened with me and now is happy to take food from me, hop around me etc but will almost have a hissy fit if I try to catch her. I have to herd her into her cage because she has a tendancy to scream if I try it any other way!! typical female....

Yeah shes a bit like that she has never been aggressive though, will take food from me and jump all over me and sit on my head but as soon as i touch her she is off like a shot its such a battle to pick her up i have to shut her in the playpen then get in the playpen to get hold of her i find covering her eyes with one hand and holding her tightly to my chest helps. She has just had her spay so i am hoping she will change!

I agree with Tamsin that if the owner's inability to handle the rabbit is having an impact on it's welfare then yes, I think it is acceptable to rehome the rabbit.

Even if it's not aggressive someone not entirely confident with rabbits might find it difficult to do a health check on a struggling bun and so all sorts could go unnoticed. Our old bun was very difficult to handle (though that was by no means the reason we rehomed her) and though she wasn't aggressive with it she was very powerful and when she started struggling in earnest it could get pretty hairy :?

However, if it's merely a case of the rabbit isn't cuddly enough for the owner then no, it's not really a good enough reason to rehome it. I don't see rabbits really as cuddly creatures anyway an I think it's a misconception that a lot of people have that buns are great pets to pick up and cuddle all the time.

Thats a good point actually - although if that was the reason it would be unwise to buy another one straight away, maybe bunnies are not for her.

Back