• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urinary incontinence in spayed does?

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
Has anybody heard of a connection between spaying female rabbits, and urinary incontinence?

My Crunchie has lost control of her bladder, and after ruling out every other possibility, my vet thinks she may have lost control of her bladder due to muscle weakness. T

he vet says it's possible that it's because she's spayed. She was spayed about a year ago, and is of an unknown age (possibly 3-4 years old?)

Apparently this is already known about in female dogs, but obviously no research has been done into the problem in rabbits.

Amy

Never heard of it in rabbits or come across it. Have you had her on a course of panacur just to be on the safe side?

there is a hormone that helps some does but have you also ruled out ec with a 28 day course? It took some time to wipe out Sooty's ec, certainly longer than the short 9 days.

Yeah, EC has been ruled out...she was on panacur pretty much constantly for about 3 months...and blood tests have shown kidney function to be normal (kidney failure would be expected with EC).

At the moment she's on a drug which tightens up the sphincter muscle (can't remember the name :oops:) We're planning to start oestrogen tablets in the next fews days because there hasn't been much improvement :(

Bouncer was incontinent & tested for urine infections, kidney stones & EC. His urine infections were cleared up with antibiotics, but the 6 weeks panacur wasn't enough to beat the EC.

His incontinence did only start after his neuter though. My vet said that if EC is present, then the immune system cannot always hold it off if weakened, say after a neuter.

Bella one of my rabbits had this treatment a bit ago for urine incontinence and it worked:D

I posted last week about Bella being poorly well I took her to my vet who was concerned that she was in alot of pain and had become urine incontinant, my vet could feel something in her bladder but wanted to ease the amount of pain she was in before we did anything radical but we had agreed to see how she went over the weekend with baytril and metacam and also a tablet called Diethlstilbestrol which is for urine incontinence (it is half a tab once a week). I just had to share this brill drug with you as it as worked really quick, I had to give her half a tab on friday night and by saturday night she was almost dry I just carried on putting sudacrem on to help the urine scald. I am glad to report that she is now 100% better all thanks to that little half a tablet, we are carrying on with the baytril till friday and I will give her the other half of tablet on friday but I am so glad for her.

ive got a number for a fantastic bun vet who is open 24/7 and will gladly offer advice over the phone .pm me if you want details :wave:

Quick update on Crunchie, my girly with the urinary incontinence.

She's been taking the oestrogen tablets for about a week now, and I'm pleased to say that she seems much dryer around her rear end (touch wood). :D

Behaviour wise...she's still as mad as ever..and soooo greedy! :D

Unfortunately though, she doesn't seem to be regaining any muscle mass...her spine is really prominent and all her flesh has gone saggy because it's got nothing to plump it out any more :(

Bella one of my rabbits had this treatment a bit ago for urine incontinence and it worked:D

I posted last week about Bella being poorly well I took her to my vet who was concerned that she was in alot of pain and had become urine incontinant, my vet could feel something in her bladder but wanted to ease the amount of pain she was in before we did anything radical but we had agreed to see how she went over the weekend with baytril and metacam and also a tablet called Diethlstilbestrol which is for urine incontinence (it is half a tab once a week). I just had to share this brill drug with you as it as worked really quick, I had to give her half a tab on friday night and by saturday night she was almost dry I just carried on putting sudacrem on to help the urine scald. I am glad to report that she is now 100% better all thanks to that little half a tablet, we are carrying on with the baytril till friday and I will give her the other half of tablet on friday but I am so glad for her.

wow that's really interesting - will keep it in mind just incase - glad she's better :)

Glad shes improving. My Maisie is plumping up a bit now that I am feeding her porridge every other day.

So if a bun just pee NOT at her spot, then it is considered as urinary incontinence? I mean, the wet bun obviously is a consequence of that.

Just a quick update on Crunchie....

The oestrogen tablets stopped working, and she started wetting herself again :cry:

So, she's now back on Propalin (slightly higher dose than before), and baytril as a precautionary measure.

Her appitite is good, and she's still active and happy. :D

One of my bunnies had incontinence and she tested negative for EC. She had several courses of Baytril, but it returned and she was really poorly. She was started on a long course of Baytril, which I think was around four - six weeks and her incontinence stopped. Had it not, they were going to check for stones or sludge.

So if a bun just pee NOT at her spot, then it is considered as urinary incontinence? I mean, the wet bun obviously is a consequence of that.

Bouncer's back end was wet all the time & yellow when he had it. I treated for urine scald, & he had to be bathed:( His was caused by EC that came after he was neutered

Another update on Crunchie...

We seem to have found a protocol that's working (touch wood): 0.05mls of Propalin 3 times a day, and 0.5mls of baytril twice a day.

Crunchie is presently dry around her rear end and we actually have fur regrowth... Yay!! :D

Quick update on Crunchie...

She's still on 0.05mls Propalin 3 times a day and 0.5mls of baytril twice a day, and is still staying dry :D

Her fur has regrown on her bottom, but unfortunately she has now started to pull the fur out of her tail! :shock:

No idea why she is doing this because there isn't any wetness :(

Back