• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do all vets give vaccination cards?

spider

Warren Scout
My two had their first myxi vaccinations last week but weren't given a vaccination card. I didn't know there was such a thing when we went to the vets. However, after seeing someone mention it on here I was wondering whether they should have given me a card for both rabbits?

I don't think they vaccinate many bunnies so maybe they're not used to it yet. The vet was new and very good with the buns so I wasn't worried about her giving the vacs. She said to leave it 4 weeks to bring them back for the VHD vacs, although from what I've read 2 weeks is long enough. Better be safe than sorry though. I will ask them about the card when I go back for the VHD but I just wondered what others experiences were.

Thanks,
Clare

My vets always give out cards, it has the date of the jab, the date of the next due jab, the sticker from the side of the bottle and the vets sig too. Worth having just incase you move and / or you don't get a reminder from the vets for their next one. :D

I got given cards for my cats, but not for the rabbits. And I did forget when they were last vaccinated cos the vets also sent reminders for the cats, but not the bunnies.

Did complain and I have been sent reminders now for all pets (expect they didnt think rabbits were worth having reminders/cards) :roll:

You should get a card with the batch no. of the vaccine used, the vets signature and the date it was done -no different to cat/dog vaccines.
I'd call your vet and ask them to put one in the post.

Thank you for the replies :D I will call them first thing tomorrow about it. Hopefully they will send them in the post. They sent me a card when I last had a rat PTS so its quite likely they'll send it to me. I will still call them about it though.

Thanks again,
Clare

I got my bunnies cards after their VHD, they had myxi first, then VHD 2 weeks later. So perhaps they'll give you the cards once they've had their VHD.

they stick the labels and sign our cards, im sure all vets are supposed to use cards so theres a record otherwise how could you prove your bunny is up to date on vaccinations?

Hi, our vets give cards and also send out reminders for VHD and myxi vaccines. I would think as more people put their rabbits in "kennels"/ "warrens" ??, when they go on holiday, this will become more important.

The first time my three were vaccinated they got their cards on the 2nd visit; they were then filled in retrospectively for the previous vaccination & the one they had at that visit.

Mine have always got theirs when they are first vaccinated.

Which reminds me I think a couple are due for theirs again :rolleyes:

yup, get cards and reminders from vet..........they must write the batch no. on the card presumably in case there is ever a problem with that particular batch. my vets are quite particular about filling in all the details and signing it. but i always take the cards with me and these are kept safely in a drawer in the kitchen!!

Thanks everyone for the overwhelming replies :) I will certainly get on to the vets about it. I had to take Lily back to the vets (other vets - I used my local ones for vacs and ones further a field for surgery etc) today as I was concerned her broken teeth hadn't all been removed. So back for another dental on Monday. If I'd done my research and realise how expensive rabbits were! :lol: Wouldn't be without them but it is a good job I can afford it.

I'll get on to the local vets on Monday.

Thanks so much for all your replies :D

haha i worked out how much they cost the other week without emergancies..... one bun costs the same as a dog :shock::shock::shock:

I got one from my vets but just after id taken benny for his myxi (they did the vhd jab first). They held onto it inbetween jabs and gave it to me after his second one so maybe this is what yours is doing?

Our vet gives them out after the VHD jab.
We dont accept any buns in without up to date myxi and VHD jabs and most boarding places are the same so you would need one if you ever intended to board anywhere.

My buns have a vaccination card and when they do the jabs, they peel off the sticker off the vial and put it onto the card either that or they write the serial number onto the card.

Back