• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sneezing and nasal discharge

rabbitmum

Mama Doe
hi,
my 7 yo lop ,pooh has tonight started to sneeze abit and has a tiny amount of nasal discharge....:cry:
ive never had a bun with this before...ive phoned the vet and they said to give her 0.6 ml of baytril and take her to vet asap tomorrow.
what else can i do for her , she seems at the moment, very bright and alert and is acting normal.
is this snuffles starting and if so how has she got it? can guineas pick it up also?
HELP!!!:cry:

she seemed ok last night... we checked on her at regular intervals through the night..no more discharge or sneezing but i would still love to hear any advice that you could give me!!!:wave:

It doesn't necessarily mean that she's starting with a long-term problem. A couple of mine have been successfully been treated for minor respiratory infections, with no relapses (so far!).

Is the nasal discharge thin and clear like water, or thick and creamy/yellow coloured?

It could also mean teeth problems (quite common in older rabbits), so it's worth asking your vet to check in her mouth.

Good luck

Amy

Bluebell had a mild virus which gave the same symptoms and touch wood after one week of bayril he's never had a prob since. But I cannot stress enough you must get expert advice from a vet, the quicker you catch these things the better. Good luck.

I agree. Best to let the vet check her over and get some treatment if necessary. It may not be snuffles: we are going through this with Nia at the moment. Snuffles has been ruled out, as have dental problems so we are looking at the possibility of a grass seed(only one nostril is affected) or foreign body, or perhaps a polyp. She's on her 3rd week of baytril and it is definitely a bit better. She's due back at the vet next week , when we'll have another think about what to do next.

Back