• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Critical Care

CRBevis

Mama Doe
Is this a good thing to have in the cupboard incase of instances of reduced/non eating of a certain food which is usually sign of tum troubles for us with Bunnie.

This site of oxbows has it and gives info on what it's for, what it contains and the different ways of application:) Seems a good thing to have, anyone agree?

http://www.oxbowhay.com/link.sp?page=critical_care

from what ive read on this forum, id not force feed alvin or pearl without the vet ruling out a blockage first, i would then just buy the stuff they prescribe.. but i guess if you went the vet first it would be cheaper than buyin from them :D

from what ive read on this forum, id not force feed alvin or pearl without the vet ruling out a blockage first, i would then just buy the stuff they prescribe.. but i guess if you went the vet first it would be cheaper than buyin from them :D

I agree with you but this stuff you don't have to force feed, you can sprinkle it over hay or veg, or feed a bit off a spoon as it is also a appetite stimulant!

Will consult vet tomorrow to see what they think and whether they say good to have in or whether we just stick to avipro plus in the water at the first sign of poorlyness, until get to vet!

My view is that if there are any signs of GI stasis, you need to be trying to get the tummy working again before putting more bulk in. ie. try to reduce the pain rather than adding more food in that might make the tummy hurt even more, and when it has nowhere to go.

I stick to syringing fluids in at frequent intervals, and let the bunny eat for themselves when they are ready.

Critical care is usually used to feed anorexic buns. As Donna said it can be dangerous to feed if there is a blockage. The packets only cost a couple of pound. If you think it could stimulate a bun to eat then sounds good but I've not heard of that before. I have used it to syringe feed buns with stasis who are refusing to eat - only after blockage ruled out by my vet though.

Bunnies eating pellet and veg fine but reduced the hay eating on monday and was up until earlier eating none!

she has eaten a small amount in last hour!

she pooing ok and we took her to vet and there is no blockage or gas.

Just wandered if this stuff was good to have in as it is high in fibre and stuff and don't have to force feed it!

It can be used for the following:

Critical Care
Clinical Applications

GI stasis
Anorexia & inappetence
Dental disease
Post extraction & molar trimming
Severe malocclusions
Post-surgical care
Post spay/neuter
Appetite stimulant
Geriatric patients
Medication carrier
Receiving protocols
Research

Application:

Syringe Feeding
Mix with warm water. Spoon into back of syringe and serve.
Soft-Serve
Mix with less warm water. Form into balls or feed directly from a spoon.
Top Dressing
Sprinkle dry powder on misted hay or fresh greens to stimulate appetite.

Thankyou, she was eating more hay again a bit more enthusiastically a minute ago! (sp)

:shock:eating some more as i speak! fingers crossed i welling up:D

i bet if you pretend not to be watchin shell eat loads ;) they sneaky at makin us worry.. the poops should get back to normal now shes eating again and you can join me in the poo obsession gang :roll::roll:

only yesterday ste moaned at alvins poops as they scattered accross the floor and i sat there and said but loooook how big and perfect they are :lol::lol::lol: he dont get it :rolleyes:

i bet if you pretend not to be watchin shell eat loads ;) they sneaky at makin us worry.. the poops should get back to normal now shes eating again and you can join me in the poo obsession gang :roll::roll:

only yesterday ste moaned at alvins poops as they scattered accross the floor and i sat there and said but loooook how big and perfect they are :lol::lol::lol: he dont get it :rolleyes:

:wave:

Waynes right this minute congratulating her on the amount of poos that she has just done!:lol: they not usual size but this understandable as not eaten basically any hay!

Usually she eats 4-5 big handfuls and a day and can demolish a pile in less than an hour.

She currently now this evening eating about 8-10 strands!

Shes now beating the **** out of her tunnel and tent!:roll:

Fingers crossed there is nothing bad wrong!

Asked vet if good thing to have this in, he said yes but not to force feed as maybe blockage, but he said with bunnie she always starts decreasing her hay eating over couple of days so this is our alert to a problem so can offer her some critical care and if she takes it then she has a headstart by time gets to vets!

We are going to get some later as no point as in hospital now , and need to see what happens!:cry:

Asked vet if good thing to have this in, he said yes but not to force feed as maybe blockage, but he said with bunnie she always starts decreasing her hay eating over couple of days so this is our alert to a problem so can offer her some critical care and if she takes it then she has a headstart by time gets to vets!

We are going to get some later as no point as in hospital now , and need to see what happens!:cry:

bunnie is in hospital???? nooooooooooo do they know whats up with her yet???

Back