• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Alternative hay

Claire&Phil

Warren Scout
We always use Oxbow timothy hay and although are buns love it, it is very expensive. Are there any cheaper but as good heys avaliable. What do other people use?

Have you been to the hay experts website. You can get a sample of the different hays they do, so you can try before you buy. :) I personally get dust free hay, farm bales and some from hay experts.

We also use farm bales but give the oxbow timothy as extra. We order the bulk 50kg Oxbow hay but that is expensive.

a bag of meadow dust free hay i think its fairly local the pah stuff is rubbish and really dusty and smells horrid. i get mine from a little local petshop it smells loverly...almost nice enough i want to eat it mself!!:lol::lol:

I was doing the same as you for ages and going through a bag of Oxbow Timothy hay a day because mine wouldnt eat meadow hay from a bag :shock: I brought my first bale of meadow hay from the horse place ages ago now and they wtill have a full bin full to get through, and it only cost £9! :shock: :lol: And they love it! Its brilliant and the £5 or whatever I am saving each day is going straight into their vet fund :D

We get all our hay from Norman at the Dust Free Hay Company - absolutely top quality stuff - the house smells gorgeous with it all stored away and no complaints from the buns either:)

My lot like timothy hay too.. they also like Burns Oat hay which ive bought from Hay experts or Burns websites... im waiting for an order from Hay Experts at the moment which will also have Brome hay in it so going to try that for a change too. :D

Timothy hay seems to be the winner at the moment. This is because it is lower in calcium and thus does not contribute to calcified urine and arterial problems due to calcium build up. This is why brocolli is should be given in moderation. our buns get Burgess forage food and timothy hay with herbs. The sanctuary bunnies enjoy massive bails of timothy hay with herbs donated by a farm. I believe its quite expensive though. (the goat got in last night and ate most of it! naughty Margie!:no:)

I use the Oxbow, but order a 4kg box which works out a bit cheaper than the bags. I also get my vet to order it for me, so I don't have to pay postage. :)

Back