• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Veg - how much?

cheryl21

Warren Scout
Bud has just been poorly, not eating etc. He has been to vets and is sorted now although he is still not eating as much as he used to.

I was wondering could I be giving them too much veg - could that have caused a problem?

I have a list of safe foods that Sooz made, from another thread and have been feeding according to that. But how much should I be feeding and how much is too much? And when!!

They get a handful of pellets in the morning, hay all day, veg at tea time and somemore pellets at bed time. Am I doing this wrong?

I'm not sure to be honest - we got him from a rescue last June. The previous owners dumped him there, said they didn't clean his hutch and only fed him when they remembered so he was in a bit of a bad way. The rescue got him back on track but he was quite small. I think now he's fully grown. Stella was one last october and I think they may be around the same age.

I know what veg to feed but just not how much!!!!

If your bunny didn't want to eat it then he wouldn't, trust me mine are savages but when those babies are full they won't eat anything other then thier hutches :)

Personally I wouldn't feed the extra pellet at bedtime and as for veg I usually offer one green leaf (such as spring greens) plus a small floret of brocolli or green bean. But go careful with the broccoli as it can cause stomach upsets in some rabbits JMO

they don't get extra pellets at bedtime - i split their rations into two!!! Turns out Bud has had an infection - vet gave him some antibiotics and he seems to be getting better.

The vet also said no more than a handful of veg, which is what they have been having, so looks like i'm doing it right!!

they like brocolli - i do limit their amounts as I had heard too much could be bad, it hasn't caused a problem so far - they hadnt had any before Bud got poorly!!!!!

Here's hoping he's better - going back to vets tonight for a check up!!!

So long as he is eating his hay then I would just give him small amounts of veg and pellets. Mine get a handful of pellets between them in the morning and then a bowl or various veg in the evening, they lurve their veggies!

Back