• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxi from hay?

ailz

Alpha Buck
I only get my buns vaccinated once a year as we are in a very low risk area, but I suddenly thought about the hay I buy.

I bought my recent lot from the dust free hay company, I don't know whether the area they grow their hay in has myxi or not so my question is:

Could my rabbits get myxi from germs or whatever in the hay I buy?

Or am I just being paranoid

No..it's passed mainly by bites from flying insects that have carried the virus after biting an animal infected with the myxi virus.

Will the virus still be viable in the vector after a couple of days? I thought it had to be passed on fairly soon after the initial transfer. How can you be sure that a farm is myxi free, as a mossie can fly, or be carried for miles in the wind, so even if there is no evidence of a wild rabbit with myxie, a virus- carrying insect could land anywhere. You just have to take all the precautions possible( vaccinations, fly netting etc) and trust to luck really.

Back