• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

does everyone give myxi jabs to their buns?

hooleyslops

Alpha Buck
just out of interest i wonder how many have all their buns given the myxi jabs. i have 9 buns and they are all innoculated at the mo. i have lost a bun to myxi in the past even tho they had the jab and another one actually survived myxi years ago when i hadnt had them innoculated.

my vet has said that several of his clients have refused to have the jabs given as they have no real faith in them - does anyone else on here feel the same?

I am always fully up to date with Vaccs. VhD and Myxi. It would kill me to see my baby suffering for the sake of a little jab. I know its a personal opinion but having lost our family bun to myxi 7 years ago i'm a bit paranoid about it now. suppose everyone's different tho

Mine are jabbed as required, I could not live with the guilt if they got ill and I had not done all I could to protect them.

Mine are done 6 monthly for myxi, last year was such a horrific year for rabbits contracting it, at least if vaccinated they have a higher survival rate :D

all my rabbits thats the two preloved im sort of fostering and my own rabbit are innocculated with out fail usually rabbits without the jab will not survive. Chelsea got nodular myxi last summer and is almost 100% recovered except a small weeping in the eye which may never clear up completly. but being that she is now almost 10 she would not have made it thru without having the partial immunity. so i always have them innoculated

I will always have them vaccinated against myxi and vhd. Myxi is done six monthly where I live.

Couldnt live with myself if anything happened to my bunnies and I could of prevented it :cry:

mine are jabbed for both, i promised the rescue ill get pearl done 6 monthly aswell so im about to book them in begginning of next month :)

id rather them have the jab cus if they got myxi atleast theres a chance of survival and plus the small print of the insurance says they need to be dont or its void for anything related to the illness

mine are all done. even if it isnt 100% reliable, and only gave a small amount of protection, i would do it anyway for the peace of mind. it would be awful to lose a bun to myxi cos i'd been too lazy to get her vaccinated.

I'd much rather spend £11/vaccine than see on of my bun suffer; even nodular myxi is better than the full-blown thing.

hi

Mine are booked in for mixy its the vhd im ??? asked one vet and they said it isnt really needed and hasnt done one in yrs but would do it if asked.He aslo said that mixy needs really to be done in march/april when it gets warmer and again autum time is that right.

the myxi jab only retains its full effectiveness for six months and the risk of myxi is highest over summer, thus its most reliable to do it in spring (when it starts getting warmer) to ensure maximum effectiveness over the risk period.

i dont know about vhd though :? my vet has always said I must get them both done, there has never even been the option of missing out the VHD. id think it would be best to get it to be on the safe side, I know I'm a worrier but VHD can kill your bun overnight.

my vet has said that several of his clients have refused to have the jabs given as they have no real faith in them - does anyone else on here feel the same?

Yep especially since we lost five vaccinated ones xmas 2006 :cry:

All 11 are curently still vaccinated though :?

Since there are no reported case of myxi in my homeland then no. I think it's actually illegal to vaccinate them as well, at least its illegal to import vaccinated buns since they can still carry it:cry: This of course means occasionally the government put up full import-stop for rabbits when there are many reported cases of myxi in Sweden, all rabbits imported to Norway should be un-vaccinated and from areas with no reported cases of myxi within a set time. And it appears the quarantine-rules are working:D It is sad of course that we can't freely import foreign rabbits as it would make it easier to get a hold on breeds that are rare in Norway, minirex for example, but if we can avoid the most dangerous diseases it's worth it:D

I have mine vaccinate 6 monthly for myxi and yearly for VHD. I just think that it's better to try to protect them, then not to bother. I worry because next door has a pond and an unvaccinated rabbit:cry:.

Ours are vaccinated but so far only once a year. I do doubt the effectiveness of the vaccine, but it's better than nothing I guess. I'm more concerned about VHD due to the lack of symptoms and stuff.

I get all 8 of mine done for Myxi and VHD. And although it costs a hell of a lot its been worth it so far. VHD seems to be particularly bad in my area so its the very least I can do to protect the buns. However I also make sure no wild rabbits can come into contact with them nor any other wildlife for that matter. I also use mosquito netting on the run in the summer to keep those VHD carrying flies away. This is also good to minimise fly strike. Although regular bottom checking features highly too.

Both mine are vaccinated against Myxi and VHD and we refuse any buns that haven;t got both vaccinations up to date for boarding. Sadly there are a few boarding establishments that dont ask for VHD as they dont feel it necessary unless it's prevalent in the area:(, but I'd rather be safe than sorry and they obviously have never seen a VHD infected bun or know how it can be spread.

Both mine are vaccinated against Myxi and VHD and we refuse any buns that haven;t got both vaccinations up to date for boarding. Sadly there are a few boarding establishments that dont ask for VHD as they dont feel it necessary unless it's prevalent in the area:(, but I'd rather be safe than sorry and they obviously have never seen a VHD infected bun or know how it can be spread.

we have had this problem with the vhd injection as not all vets tell their clients and don't support our wishes but we are now insisting on both injections dispite 2 vets saying its not prevalent in this area, as far as i am concerned if we don't insist on the vaccines how can we claim to be caring for the animals properly.

Why would vets be so uninformed????:censored::censored::evil:

My house buns are up to date on their vaccs and will get myxi and VHD annually as they're in a low risk area and live indoors. However my mum's get myxi every 6 months as they're outdoor buns and in a high risk area.

i do keep up with the jab 6 monthly, i know its not 100% but at least there is not the thinking what if if anything happened.

With pet plan you have to have these as well to comply with the terms and conditions:)

Back