• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeding advice for poorly rescue

lucy pepsi

Warren Scout
Dexter seems to be getting much stronger - he he definately a fiesty bun thats for sure:D

I am just slightly unsure as to what the best course of action is feed wise now. He is on quality ad lib hay and water. I am also feeding him a small amount of the excel pellets 3 times a day with his syringe feed mixed in (fibreplex) as he will take is baytril from the syringe okay but is then wise to it and turns into devil rabbit by the time we do the fibreplex!!! :lol:

He has a really good appetite and has usually dived into the feed before i even have chance to let go of the bowl :roll: i swear he even licks the bowl!

Last night i gave him a small amount of well soaked warm porridge oats mixed in with his feed which he loved to help him gain weight.

No greens are being fed except for the tiniest bite of carrot etc after i clean his wounds as a treat for being a good boy!:roll:

I need him to gain weight as soon as poss as it is a strong possability that he will need a GA to srape out the yuk in his wounds. At the moment he is VERY underweight - just skin and bone :(

What is the best course of action? Ob i need to be careful to upset his tum too:shock:

What you are doing, little and often. I usually feed a 3-4 of spoonfuls of the well soaked porridge three times a day and pellets ad-lib (but if he is not used to them be wary with Excel, they are known for causing SBS).

Hallo

Carrots and celery could help too.
Our rabbits get just this (plus hey) and no pellets or corn and they realy gained weight over the winter :shock:

Greats Lynn

when I had two very underweight rescue guinea pigs, I had some really good results with feeding a bit of dried grass in with their hay, seemed to help them put on a bit of weight.

Back