• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Just for J.D. neutered

Jolliman

New Kit
Hi there.

I just got my dwarf lop neutered today and he seems to be getting back to normal fairly quick. He is still a bit sleepy, but and been hopping around a bit.

The vets gave me a collar thing to stop his chewing on his stiches, but i didnt put it on at first because they said he has been leaving them alone all day, but got it in case he decided to be naughty. (when i first went they said they would use internal stitches so he couldnt do this, but when i went to collect him they said i might need oneir maybe??)

Anyway i saw him messing around down there so i decided to put it on, and obviously he is really uncomfortable, but i was wondering how long he would need to keep it on. I didnt ask the vet because i didnt think he would need it.

Any ideas??

Also he hasnt ate since he came home. I know this is normal, but how long before i should get worried??

Hi :wave:

I try not to use collars on bunnies post neuter because it means they cannot eat their ceacal pellets (the ones eaten direct from the anus). When your bunny was 'fiddling' are you sure he was going for his stitches or was he trying to eat his ceacals?

If he has not eaten by tomorrow morning call your vet. What have you offered him?

dont know about the collar im afraid but mine wouldnt eat at all i had to syringe feed mushed up pellets but after that she ate on her own. hope it helps.

That is what i thought at first but he seems to be nibbling down there alot. I have offered him his regular food, a bit of carrot, a tiny bit of banana because its his fav. and some of my apple.

I guess i will take th collar off for a while and see how he goes. Just dont want him to hurt him self.

Any tips then on how to stop him nibbling?

<edit> he gave in and had a little bit of banana (i didnt give him that much as i read rabbit arent suppost to have much) but at least he ate something.

Last edited:
Keep the collar off whilst you are able to supervise him and just gently stop him if he seems to be nibbling.

Sometimes a rabbit is more inclined to nibble if they have a reaction to the stitches, because it itches. Keep an eye on his bits and make sure the swelling starts to subside and that there is no pus about the wounds over the next few days.

Did the vet give your rabbit painkillers and gut stimulant after the operation?

<edit> he gave in and had a little bit of banana (i didnt give him that much as i read rabbit arent suppost to have much) but at least he ate something.

I find mushing a little banana or fruit based baby food into the normal pellets (softened with a little warm water) can encourage eating. Once they get started they are normally fine.

Apple& Blackberry goes down a treat here :D

I find mushing a little banana or fruit based baby food into the normal pellets (softened with a little warm water) can encourage eating. Once they get started they are normally fine.

Apple& Blackberry goes down a treat here :D

Thanks! He ate quite a bit of his food munched with banana, he seemed to like it. I think i will pick up some baby food before i go to work tomorrow and give him some of that, but he seems to be eating ok now

Not as much as usual, but he is definitely eating a fair amount.

Just wondering, when humans get surgery, we patch up their wound. Why don't we do the same for buns?

Would a pair of nappies stop a bun from nibbling at stitches?...Or am I being absurd. I know our bunnys would struggle and spend all day trying to get a collar off. Maybe that distraction is enough to stop them nibbling at stitches, but I imagine the stress of a collar wouldn't be good when he's supposed to be recovering.

As a general rule vets in the UK only use a collar as a last resort. Personally I have only had one rabbit who had to wear one.

Most of my rabbits have internal sutures and glue, so there is nothign to pick at.

Back