• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

two bunnies needing home Ulverston - South Cumbria

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Posted on behalf of FurryBeasties

Physical Description: 2 lovely Rex litter matesl; Castor Rex (Humphrey) and Orange Rex (Rosie)
Temperament: Rosie is a lovely confident people friendly bunny with a very cheeky side. She always runs down the garden to see me when i come out to visit them and despite a little reluctance to be picked up sometimes is very easy to handle and loves her nose being stroked. Humprey is a little shyer than his sister but once you've picked him up once becomes much easier to handle and quite cuddly (albeit reluctantly). Both love to explore and particularly climb anything (including me during clean out) and are lovely happy buns.
Sex: male and female
Neuter Status: neutered
Vaccination Status: up to date with both jabs
Health: Humphrey is in perfect health (backed up at there last checkup in early jan) and asside from some issues with sore hocks (see reason for rehoming), so is Rosie. Both have good teeth and are spot on weight wise.

Type of home wanted: At minimum someone with pleanty of space for them to run around in that will be kind to Rosies feet (ideally a nice grasse garden). Ideally we'd also like someone with experience with rexes and sore hocks though i'll provide as much info as i've gathered to anyone inexperienced taking them on. They are strong rabbits so wouldn't be suitable for young children to properly handle (though they are fine for a stroke). They could potentially be house bunnies though they are currently kept outside as they have spent some time playing in the house during summer when the temperature differential was small and much enjoyed the stairs but they would need a big indoor enclsure as there used to a very big hutch.

Location: Ulverston - South Cumbria - we would be prepeared to travel to get Rosie and Humphrey to there new home, probably up to 1.5 hours 1 way though potentially more for the right home. We also regularly travel down to oxfordshire so anywhere along this route would be possible though within reasonable distance for the rabbits.

Reason for rehoming: Rosie has a long term issue with sore hocks She developed this early last year and we have since been tackeling it with a variety of ideas and techniques thanks to this site. It is now under control and healing well and we have narrowed it down to being caused by the gravelled surface of our garden. Confining her and her brother to the hutch and run for most of the week has healed them over nicely but this isn't a permenant solution so we are looking for a new home with a nice grassy garden for them to be able to get out daily again. She has shown to be fine with some harder surfaces such as concrete flags over a short period of time (2 weeks over christmas) but grass would be ideal as it cushions her feet and is none abrasive. As mcuh as i'd love to keep them, they really are lovely bunnies, i don't feel they can get the life they deserve here, we've tried pretty much everything possible short of digging up the entire back garden (which would take months otherwise i'd consider it) and regrassing it, even making them grassy areas but they insists on spending all their time on the nasty gravel eating dead leaves rather than the lovely green grass i grew for them! I am happy to hold on to them untilt he right home can be found but just want them to have the quality of life they deserve without Rosies feet getting really sore.

Note: If required the new owner could have Rosie and Humphreys hutch/run too. It's a large 6ftx2ft happy hutch that sits on a 6ftx4ft run. I am also happy to give any other rabbit bits needed as i think it will be a while before we get bunnies again as we'd like to have a better garden for them first . This includes; 6ftx2ft collapsable run/travel hutch (when used with a sleeping box - it collapses into 3ftx2ft maximum panals), 6ftx4ft stable matting (for the run) hay racks, feeding bowls, 2x water bottles, litter trays (these aren't in the greatest condition though but i will proabbyl get new ones soon), carrier, rabbit car book, the remains of a tube of flamazine cream (for sore hocks - it heals it up really well with rest). Emergency soluble rabbit food, a rabbit buster collar, a flexible green play tube, a russel rabbit feeding ball, whatever chew toys they have at the time and anythign else i have in my rabbit store.

Pics: There are some pics on my photobucket site at http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u270/jnfettes/Rabbits/ , note - the hutch on there is there old hutch, i really should uploads pics of there new hutch and will do if required

i am travelling from barrow-in-furness to reading on the 8th february if anybody needs a bunny run doing. these buns only live down the road but i cant have any more.

Humphrey in particular does have the comedic grumpy old man face
DSC00054.jpg

appologies i never turned the pic round but he really has a gorgeous grumpy face at times.

I suspect Rosie thinks she's a super modle though
IMG_1098.jpg

She definitley knows she's beautiful and loves to pose.

I hope someone can offer these two the home they deserve, they'll always have a home with us until we can find somewhere thats great for them but we know there not getting what they really deserve here, they love running around so much i feel really bad confining them to there hutch/run most days, it'll be worse in summer when they have good weather to be running around in. They'd also be great for first time owners (as long as the grass was available as Rosie's sore hocks are well controllablee away from gravel) as there so friendly and can come with all the stuff.

I'll really miss these 2 when there gone, especially my Rosie lady.

I really hope someone considers these two, i know it's early days yet but we are prepared to travel with them some distance if needed, providing we can stop off for the bunnies to have a break if needed. Please consider them, they are wonderful bunnies and deserve a better home than i can offer them. They'll make someone wonderful pets as they already are for me. Don't let Rosies feet put you off either, in the right conditions it isn't a problem at all and barely noticable, it just happens that gravel makes it sore and she is a very determined lady who refuses to wear antyhign on her feet.

Here's some info on the hutch there currently living in which can come with them assuming we can transport it to wherever they go. It's the 6x2ft version of this hutch & run combo with the 6x4ft run and here's a pic. of the set up though ours looks bigger than this one.

Sykes%20combo.jpg

Kelly, if you are interested we regularly go down to buckinhamshire, well passed it anyway as my in laws live in Whitney. We could easily do a run down there and can have an overnight stop at my parents (manchester) if needed to give the buns a rest so don't let that put you off.

Jem

I've been looking for an orange rex for a while now, can't stop thinking bout them lol :D
Just waiting for a response from the o/h lol

I really hope you get the OK from your OH, they are lovely bunnys and deserve a great new home. I hope your OH is keen, i know what it's like, i've tried to take in rescue rats at times and he's been grumpy about it :). Let your OH know that Humphs is deffinitley a mans rabbit, he much prefers my husband to me and it's been the same with every other bunny we've had. Rosie's the opposite (though in reality loves attention from anyone) so there's a good balance. Humphery also loves shoes so does tend to follow you around sniffing your shoes when he's relaxed.

Just a note, not sure if it concerns you but there fine around other animals, we've been fostering a dog for the last few months and after inital worry they're now not phased in the slightest by him (humphrey even chased him away when the dog sniffed him too much). They're also fine with cats as our backgarden is popular with them and though they'll keep a comfortable distance from them and be alert they are obviously not scared. Incedentally they're not mad on rats though, but it might be my lads fascination with there lovely thick fur which they love to stick there heads in which unerves the bunnys a bit.

Back