• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Damp poo's

Brennan

Alpha Buck
Hey guys - I was having such a good time with my bun, he now has a runny bottom :( His stool are soft and have been for a few days I have tried to just get him to eat as much hay and grass as poss which he has but not massive amounts...
He was really sick over Xmas so he is v v v fussy with his food now, so I have to be so careful, he will eat his greens, his 'naughty' food which is super rabbit or some awful rabbit mix... his redwood treats - which is the herbs plus bag (he will eat as much of this as I give him) how do i fix his sticky bum? it been a couple of days on and off... this morning he had stood in it though so it looked 50 times worse..
I gave him a little science recovery to help get some fibre in him last night could this make him more runny.... vet visit? biolapis time? sorry about this I have v little experience with runny bottoms

Last edited:
If it's just the sticky caecal poops they are supposed to eat, then give less dry food and veg/grass, plus less dried grass/dried herbage as this can cause it as it's higher protein than hay. If it's actual watery diarrhea then he needs a vet urgently, but it sounds like he's just doing too many caecal poops from your post? Mine just have hay to eat all day - although I have one bunny who just picks at it, so I give her a few more pellets than the others, morning and evening. Too much veg, or giving food at the wrong time (ie midnight or midday, when they are supposed to be eating their sticky poops) means they will leave the sticky poops - it's a bad idea to leave them with food overnight, except for fresh hay (they won't eat day old stuff)

If it's just the sticky caecal poops they are supposed to eat, then give less dry food and veg/grass, plus less dried grass/dried herbage as this can cause it as it's higher protein than hay. If it's actual watery diarrhea then he needs a vet urgently, but it sounds like he's just doing too many caecal poops from your post? Mine just have hay to eat all day - although I have one bunny who just picks at it, so I give her a few more pellets than the others, morning and evening. Too much veg, or giving food at the wrong time (ie midnight or midday, when they are supposed to be eating their sticky poops) means they will leave the sticky poops - it's a bad idea to leave them with food overnight, except for fresh hay (they won't eat day old stuff)

Hi Elve thanks for your reply

it's not watery - its like you say more like his caecal poops - but too soft.. but they are his regular poops that are soft

it's funny you should mention eating overnight - he only tends to eat over night - and not the good stuff

he has had some hay straight from the packet but I can never tell how much is enough to fill him up :(

I have read back over some of the similar threads - I am trying the hay only thing, which is harsh but I do encourage him to eat as much hay as I can... he is a house rabbit so wherever he settles I bug him with hay... it does work actually :D

My question is how long should his poops take to go firm? I mean I know their little tummy's are v v sensitive so how long on a hay only diet?

also Oxbow Bunny Basics T is mentioned a lot, he is 6 months old so is he ok on this? is he technically adult yet?

Thanks again for all your help x

I don't think you need to do anything 'harsh' other than leave him with hay only overnight - it'll be the other food he has to eat at night which is causing the problems, so should be as simple as that to clear up :)

I don't think you need to do anything 'harsh' other than leave him with hay only overnight - it'll be the other food he has to eat at night which is causing the problems, so should be as simple as that to clear up :)

ok

what should I leave him with in the day - see he normally has greens - is that wise when his stools are soft?

just checked his poos again, they are damp rather than soft, I touched a few and some are sticky...

Last edited:
Back