• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Confusing rabbit situation...

Kenno

Warren Scout
Well, Tomee's new girlfriend should be arriving next week (hopefully) and I'm in abit of a pickle with the eating arrangements.

Because...

Tomee is currently a huge veggie fan and is being weaned off his cereal food on to SS pellets (Which is taking forever).

Bea has not really had much in the way of veggies as she's a hay fan and is currently on Allen & Page pellets.

The situation is they're going to be put together straight away so how am I going to control who's eating what?

There's going to be upset stomachs everywhere, any advice?

Hi.
Where is Tommees girlfriend at the moment? Can her current owner wean her onto SS for you or at least stop her current pellets for a couple of days before you get her so you can start her on SS when she arrives with you.

As for Tommee - as he is eating plenty of hay and veggies I would cut out his cereal food altogether and increase the SS so he is on this only when the girlfriend arrives.

Is his girlfriend not keen on greens or is she just not used to them? You may have to hand feed the pair of them for a bit so that you know who gets what.

Good Luck
Vanessa

Last edited:
Does Tommee eat hay?

Which pellets would you like to feed long term? You could ask the rescue/person currently looking after Bea to start switching to SS now if possible otherwise when they arrive you can feed her just hay and then small amounts of SS gradually building up in quantity. If you want to swap to a&P then start transferring Tommee slowly over to that.

You'll need to introduce veg slowly to Bea but if she's a good hay eater then you shouldn't have too much trouble. Just reduce slightly what Tommee has and give him a bit extra seperately whilst she's not looking. Green leafly things are least likely to cause her problems - just watch her poop - that's the best indication of problems.

5 of my rabbits went straight onto SS with no ill effects, but I only gave them a couple of teaspoons each a day - they had been eating museli in the rescue but I had none from there to give them, so had no choice. As for veg I would just not give any for a couple of days to either of them, till her tummy's settled from the move, then introduce it slowly - Tomee can live on hay for a couple of days, assuming he eats hay? And if there's nothing available but SS he will eat that too :)

Thanks so much!

Bea is in a rescue in Devon at the moment, she's coming from Nicola3's rescue. She's on these boards too.

She said she'd put some of the food she's on in with her, so I suppose I could wean her onto the SS but I just don't want Tomee then to eat the A&P pellets. I'll give her a PM about that.

Tomee's not a big hay eater, he does eat it but not as much as I'd like him to. And he has a bunny tantrum when I don't give him veggies! :lol:

My aim is to get them both on to just pure SS, a few veggies and then mountains of hay! Bea eats heaps of hay apparently so I'm hoping that behaviour will rub off on to Tomee.

Back