• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Back Teeth Dental

Graeme27Uk

Warren Scout
Frosty is due to go to the vets on Thursday to have a dental on his back teeth. The vet said she would lightly sedate him (not quite a full GA) and then burr the teeth down.

Is this correct?

Hi
One of mine has a conscious dental each month (just had it done today) and every few months he will have a GA so a more thorough dental can be done.

There are some fans on here for conscious dentals and also some who are not in favour as they can not be done fully.

Sorry, I am not much help am I.....

hiya xx good luck for your buns dental xx

Miffy's had 4 GA dentals since august as it's the only way the vet can getto her back teeth and unless your rabbit is very still and likes it mouth being poked about in then its only really under GA and via xrays that they can see the whole picture. Some do do it while rabbits are awake but i know for one miffy would probably never trust a human again if they insisted on doing it while she was awake

Well Frosty isnt the world's most cuddly bunny. He doesn't like vets much as it is.

I trust the vet who is doing the op, and apparently they only need a little bit of attention. She said that he would be asleep but not for long as it would be a quick 10 minute procedure just to get his back teeth de-spiked.

The GA could be equally as stressful maybe and could take longer to recover from?

Can I ask the vet for a GA if necessary?

Generally the sedative used in bunnies is reversable, so once the teeth have been burred the reversal inj can be given to waken them quickly. A GA will take a little longer to recover from depending on what meds have been used. If the procedure takes longer than anticipated, gas anaesthetic may be given to keep him asleep.

If you're happy with your vet, and this is the procedure she would follow for this then I'd go ahead with it.

So the procedure she suggested should be ok then. My g/f and I are just worried now that Frosty is going to be traumatised or damaged by this procedure and given his bad teeth history he could have to have more dentals in the future.

Back