• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Science selective vs Oxbow Bunny Basics?

thelma

Young Bun
Which would you suggest?

My bunny is fed P@H nuggets at the minute, and I wanted to slowly change him onto something with more fibre.

He's quite a fussy boy, and he's more on the thin size rather than fat!

Thanks in advance.

My bunnies have tried all sorts of things! They much prefer the SS to anything else, so they are back on that. The Oxbow Bunny Basics was OK, and they still liked it, but nowhere near as much. One of the advantages of the Oxbow is that the pellets are much smaller - SS ones are pretty huge.

:wave: I am a big fan of Oxbow Bunny Basics, they were not so keen at first but they love it now (they were previously on SS). Their poops are much better.

Mine are on Oxbow Bunny Basics T :wave:

Its got a great fibre content, 25 - 29% fibre compared to 19% in the SS.

My buns go mad for it and a 4.5kg bag lasts forever!!!

I give the piggies Oxbows cavy cuisine too!

The recommended nutrtional values in pellets are at least 18 % fibre, 12-14% protein, max. 3% fat and max. 1 % calcium. The fibre content should be higher than protein content.

Nutritional values in Oxbow Bunny Basics T:
Crude Protein (min) 14.00 %
Crude Fat (min) 1.50 %
Crude Fiber (min) 25.00 %
Crude Fiber (max) 29.00 %
Moisture (max) 10.00 %
Calcium(min) 0.35 %
Calcium (max) 0.85 %
Phosphorus (min) 0.25 %
Salt (min) 0.50 %
Salt (max) 1.00 %
Vitamin A, IU/kg 20,000
Vitamin D, IU/kg 880
Vitamin E, IU/kg 140
Copper, mg/kg 20

Nutritional values in SS (all I could find):
Fibre 19%
Protein 14%
Oil 4%

If you consider the nutritional values Oxbow is the best. I give my buns Oxbow and they love it (can't buy SS in Norway though). Luna wasn't to thrilled at first, but now she can't eat it fast enough. Bunnies usually take a while to get used to new food.

Last edited:
We had excess squits on SS but I know a lot of members have no probs with SS and it is very popular on the forum. To be fair I think we had an overly sensitive bunster.

We now feed ours Oxbow Bunny Basics with no squit problems at all and all three wolf it down. The smaller size seems to suit our little bunnies too.

Downside is cost - but a bag does last a very long time. I buy it online as I have not found(yet) a local supplier.

I use oxbow bunny basics/T and 15/23. As far as I'm aware it's the best concentrate there is, considering nutritional value and ingedients :D So if your free to choose I would go for oxbow even though it's rather expencive.. :roll:

Oxbow bunnybasics has a higher fibre content :D Mine all loved it but I had to switch them back to SS because I was having trouble buying Oxbow food here :(

mine do v well on the oxbow. They loved the SS too but they have much better poops on the Oxbow and they still go mad for it :)

I use SS and my girls can't get enough of them. I tried Oxbow Bunny Basics but they didn't like them half as much as SS. Unless they develop a problem with SS, I'm sticking with SS. Also, I can't get Oxbow Buny Basics in my local pet shop, whereas SS, I can.

I use a half and half mix of excel lite and oxbow t.....mine don't mind the oxbow t but they don't love it quite as much as the excel and its alot more crumbly rather than hard and crunch which is what they really like.

where can you buy oxbow from? I havent seen it in many of my local shops

Any veterinary surgery can order it in for you as all vet suppliers order it in :D
There are tons of places online to order from.

It isn't that much more expensive than SS or Excel, the 4.5 kg bag is double the price but you don't need to feed as much so in the long run its quite cost effective. Although I guess it depends how much you feed them!

We had particularly excessive caecos with excel (and with SS) but as I said earlier I think Barney was overly sensitive.

I know a lot of members have no problems with excel and if it ain't broke........

In theory I guess Oxbow is the 'better' pellet and we do have poos here to be proud of! Mine wolf down the Oxbow but as they know no different then I am not sure if it would be their preferred food given a choice!

I certainly recommend Oxbow - but I think you have to weigh up cost/ease of supply as well as fibre levels.

Good Luck!

Just had a look at the BB pellets and its got Alfalfa in which is high in Calcium. I *believe* this may be what caused Barney and Roxy both to have gut stassis. I was looking for something high in hay content for my non hay eating bunny Mo but I think I'll try him on the hay cakes. Hopefully he'll fall for the trick and think they are yummy SS pellets. mwah ha ha ha

Back