• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how to introduce new litter...

kelzuna

Warren Scout
Liquorice is getting neutered on tues. he currently has woodshavings in his litter tray and is very good at using it - no accidents anywhere....apart from when i disinfectant his tray and it no longher smells of 'liquorice's toilet'!!!

I want to use newspaper for after his operation so it soesnt irrate the wound. How do i introduce it?

Change it totally? what about if he starts going to the toilet elsewhere because its not 'normal'?

Any tips?

The newspaper will get very soggy very quickly, so put a strip of vet bed on top of his wet shavings. That worked with Bella

preston was just 6 months old when he came to us and we had him neutered, he wasn't litter trained but used the same corner. we started off with newspaper but found it wasn't very absorbent, so we used some "bounty" kitchen roll sheets over the top of the newspaper and it worked very well. we also found that prestons lovely white feet were filthy after going on newspaper, but it looks like liquorice might not have that trouble :lol:

preston is litter trained now and i have changed his litter from sawdust, to wood pellets and he's now on megazorb and sometimes when we run short of megazorb we use the cats wood pellets again. i don't think he's too fussed about what is in his tray and seems to use it regardless of what is in there, even after it's had a good scrub every week.

Last edited:
The newspaper will get very soggy very quickly, so put a strip of vet bed on top of his wet shavings. That worked with Bella

I agree with this, Bobbin loves to poo and wee on vetbed! :roll: I may have to have two pieces though and wash one daily whilst he's recovering.

Personally after he has recovered I would then switch to megazorb, it's very absorbent and hugely economical.

Not really cos bits could get into the wound and cause infection. Good old towels, blankets, vetbed or newspaper is probably best

i just looked it up myself and was editing my post when you said that. he hasnt been in the straw tray yet so i removed the straw and hes on newspaper with a teeny bit of biocatolet

Liquorice is getting neutered on tues. he currently has woodshavings in his litter tray and is very good at using it - no accidents anywhere....apart from when i disinfectant his tray and it no longher smells of 'liquorice's toilet'!!!

I want to use newspaper for after his operation so it soesnt irrate the wound. How do i introduce it?

Change it totally? what about if he starts going to the toilet elsewhere because its not 'normal'?

Any tips?

For Bunnie we used newspaper and changed it whenever she was not in litter tray if it was wet! She didn't that it was different, we just changed her from recycled cat paper to Megazorb, again she doesn't care!

I think Charlie would pee on his beloved science selective if it was in his litter tray, he makes me laugh, I popped one of the trays on top of the hutch whilst I cleaned it out and the others were being cleaned, he used it, I went to clean it so he went and pee'd/poop'd right where it had been :lol::lol:

Back