• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nervous bunnies

Vicky_19

New Kit
We have recently adopted two lop eared does from a rescue centre. They were very nervous to begin with - now they come forward for their food, they run around your legs if you stand in their run with them and generally their characters are starting to come through. We are still struggling with stroking them and general handling. They will let us touch their noses briefly but as soon as you try and stroke them for a second they panic and run off.

The only way we can handle them is to entice them into their carrier first and then they seem fairly relaxed being held.

We are just worried that we are trying to ease their nerves but are just panicking them more. Both of them have lovely playful characters - we would just love to be able to stroke them a little bit more and win them around.

Any suggestions? We know it is only early days - they were at the rescue centre for a year (been there since they were 6 weeks old we believe). Are we expecting too much too soon?

Many thanks

Vicky

Sit down on floor and feed them and in time will come around to trust you all buns are nervous on being picked up as it is instinct.

Rick

My little Sammy sound just like your bunnies. We've had him 7 months now but he still likes to be left alone. Every now and then he'll let his guard down and lets us stroke him but only for a little bit.
When he comes in the house he just sits about and will move away if we sit next to him but when he's outside in his run he's like a totally different bunny, he does mad dashes and loves binkying about.
We're getting him neutered at the end of Feb so I'm crossing my fingers that this will help.

My other bunny hates being picked up too but other than that he's like a puppy. He follows us about and likes chasing us around the house. He loves get stroked. Just recently everytime I stroke his little neck he gets comfy as if I've to pet him for ages.

Definately try hand feeding. Once they're comfortable with that feed with one hand and stroke with the other.:D

a nice handfull or pellets or something like a spring green (That you hold onto too). At first they will still probably run off but soon you'll be able to stroke whilst feeding, then hopefully without.

Hand feeding really is the best way. Sometimes I also lie still on the flor with a book and let the rabbits come to me, sniff, jump on me....whatever they want to do without reacting so they dont feel threatened.

Hand feeding really is the best way. Sometimes I also lie still on the flor with a book and let the rabbits come to me, sniff, jump on me....whatever they want to do without reacting so they dont feel threatened.

Joe lies on the floor and they all climb over him :lol:

Hand feeding is, as people have said, a good way to make your buns less scared of "the hand".

Also, just sitting with them on a regular basis I've found works. i just go and sit on my bunny stool and they come and snif me, sometimes have a nibble of my slipper lol but they're alot more confident around us.

Agree with the others - just sitting with them and letting them jump on you is great and just giving it time.

I've had Muppet for a year, he'd spent 3 months in a rescue and his previous history (4 months) is unknown. He was quickly confident enough to jump over me and tolerated being stroked in passing. I think he had to learn what stroking was and to like it. He's certainly come round to it now :D But you have to do it how he likes it (ie, either just at arm's length or lying down and stroking him with my head - neither are very convenient!!!). And I dont think he really likes anyone else stroking him (probably cos he hasnt trained them to do it 'his' way ;)).

He doesnt like being picked up, though just lately I've noticed he's leaving it a few seconds longer before he wriggles. He doesnt like being held or to sit on me.

Back