• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Opinions please....

Graeme27Uk

Warren Scout
I have two rabbits... Frosty and Smudge. Smudge is a nethie, Frosty is a mini-lop (ish). They are both bonded now.
We have two hutches at the moment but my plan is to sell both hutches and get a single large hutch.

However my g/f says that the hutch below is big enough for them....

hutch1.jpg

This hutch measures about 42" length x 18" wide x 18" tall (each half).

I disagree with her....

Who is right?

I have two rabbits... Frosty and Smudge. Smudge is a nethie, Frosty is a mini-lop (ish). They are both bonded now.
We have two hutches at the moment but my plan is to sell both hutches and get a single large hutch.

However my g/f says that the hutch below is big enough for them....

hutch1.jpg

This hutch measures about 42" length x 18" wide x 18" tall (each half).

I disagree with her....

Who is right?

You are

Janex

yeah it's too small. Especially the height, 18" doesn't give them enough room to stand on their back legs and periscope

Only suitable for the smaller breeds or guinnea pigs I'd imagine.
So no, not big enough for 2 medium ish buns.

I think it is too small

I have just got a hutch with run on the side,from the happy hutch company,it arrived the next day,i am very pleased with it.Pets at home do a lovely hutch Lavender Lodge and they do a separate run for it,and the happy hutch company do a hutch and run combo which they claim is the biggest you can buy and it is huge,they also sell through ebay and most are free delivery.good luck with your search

I had this for piggies and imo it shouldn't be sold for rabbits, the height and depth of even the 5 foot one isn't big enough - and this one isn't even 4 foot!! Have you looked at Thistle Hall at P@H? I still think you can't beat the Happy Hutch ones though

My g/f said that the smaller hutch I already have has more space as it has two floors.

She says that seeing as each floor is 3.5ft then the hutch is equivalent to 7ft in length...

Can someone explain.....

I went for the Thistle hall hutch form pets at home, it is pricey but its alot bigger.

We were originally going for the sage house hutch but on closer look it was just too small, theres no depth to it.

A lot of people on this forum recommend the "happy hutch" website.

At the end of the day I suppose it depends on how much time they get outside there hutch. If there gonna be in it for most of the day then they should get the space. Plus I think they are less likely to fight if they have more room.

My g/f said that the smaller hutch I already have has more space as it has two floors.

She says that seeing as each floor is 3.5ft then the hutch is equivalent to 7ft in length...

Can someone explain.....

Ideally the rabbit should have room to make several hops before its nose hits the other end of the hutch. A 3.5ft length, which presumably has a hole in the floor and a bedroom divider doesn't give the rabbit enough room to hop about, and the 18" height is unsuitable as the rabbit can't stretch upwards.
I have borrowed a 4' one for two tiny babies I am fostering, and I'm not happy with that for them.
I'd say 6' is an absolute minimum, especially with two. Obesity and lack of motility contribute significantly to poor health in rabbits IMO.

They dont spend that much time in their hutch. When we are home they are out roaming the house, so its only when we are both at work or over night when its warm enough for them to go out.

OK so it sounds like they get their exercise then!
It sounds like you have already recognised that the 3.5ft hutch is too small, and the majority of people on here would recommend a 6' minimum.

Personally I don't like hutches at all, but consider that if that is what you need to have, make it as big as you possibly can.

Rabbits are at their most active during dusk and dawn which is when the rabbits are most likely to be in their hutch.

I always say put yourself (mentally) in the rabbits place. Imagine spending 6 hours locked inside the smallest room in your house with just the window to look out of and nothing to do (you can't fit toys/tunnels/boxes in a 3.5ft space) and imagine how bored they must feel. Compare that to a spacious lounge with different places to sit, different things to look at etc. etc.:?

I've got a hutch like the one in your photo - it's too small and I now use it as a garden store. Also the mesh isn't mouse proof, so there are mice living in it - they are happy though! The problem with any 2 storey hutch is the ladder and stairwell take up most of the floorspace in anything smaller than 2x5 (60cm x 150cm)

Back