• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Allergic to rabbit/Update

Rice

Mama Doe
So I was talking to my mom today and it turns out my little brother is super-allergic to my mom's rabbit. So allergic that his eyes swell up and he can't wear his contacts so he can't see. So they are getting rid of Smudge :cry::cry: I wanna take him soo bad but I've already got Alfred who I want to bond to Piper once he isn't sick anymore. I don't have any room to keep three seperate rabbits until thats done or heaven forbid if Piper won't bond with any of them... :roll:

Is it too hard to bond three unknown rabbits all at the same time if I could work that out? I don't know what to do as I really don't want Smudge to go to a random home or a rescue...

Last edited:
aw not sure about the bonding thing.... but hopefully someone else could help i hope it all sorts out surely a rescue would be better than a random home why dont u see if a mod can put on rabbits in need and try to find a nice home thru here/?(if bonding not possible) good luck bump. xx

aw not sure about the bonding thing.... but hopefully someone else could help i hope it all sorts out surely a rescue would be better than a random home why dont u see if a mod can put on rabbits in need and try to find a nice home thru here/?(if bonding not possible) good luck bump. xx

I'm in America or else that would be my first thought!

Has she spoken to the doc and checked what he's actually allergic too? For example sometimes it's the hay/sawdust not the rabbit in which case you can remove them and it's solved. Hay fever meds can also sometimes resolve pet allergies.

Tam

Has she spoken to the doc and checked what he's actually allergic too? For example sometimes it's the hay/sawdust not the rabbit in which case you can remove them and it's solved. Hay fever meds can also sometimes resolve pet allergies.

Tam

My dad is actually an Allergist so he tested him and he is allergic to the rabbit. They found this out a few weeks ago so my little brother has been staying away from the rabbit completely and taking all the meds he can hoping it would help and there has been little to no improvement :cry:

My little brother is really upset by the whole thing because he loves the rabbit just as much as my mom does! He just doesn't think he can stand it anymore with his eyes so bad and not being able to see. That's another reason why I really would like to keep Smudge myself, so my brother can come visit him.

My dad is actually an Allergist so he tested him and he is allergic to the rabbit. They found this out a few weeks ago so my little brother has been staying away from the rabbit completely and taking all the meds he can hoping it would help and there has been little to no improvement :cry:

My little brother is really upset by the whole thing because he loves the rabbit just as much as my mom does! He just doesn't think he can stand it anymore with his eyes so bad and not being able to see. That's another reason why I really would like to keep Smudge myself, so my brother can come visit him.

this is very sad for you all.... are there rescues in america which could help? any american ru members who know of any in ur state/county...

sorry i did not realise u were in us....hope it gets sorted and that bun goes somewhere its well loved.

There are rescues in the US, not many near me, but a few. I'm considering contacting them to see what could be done. I was just really hoping to work out how to keep him myself... :cry:

Thanks for the advice!

Are you anywhere near 'Best Friends', I believe they are in Utah or that region. They are the best sanctuary and large rescue resource overall in the US and would be worth calling I would think.
On the other hand can you just take him in temporarily and try to just see if the 3 can bond and how it goes?

Are you anywhere near 'Best Friends', I believe they are in Utah or that region. They are the best sanctuary and large rescue resource overall in the US and would be worth calling I would think.
On the other hand can you just take him in temporarily and try to just see if the 3 can bond and how it goes?

I'm about four hours away from 'Best Friends' but from what I've heard it'd definitely be worth giving them a call and I was actually considering it.

I do think I will give the bonding a try because it's definitely at least worth a shot! I've been calling places around to see if they could do the bonding for me but so far nobody does that...

So bonding question then, should I bond them all unknown at the same time or should I bond two of them first and then add the third?

Can't help with bonding situation but I am allergic to rabbits , hamsters, shavings , dust and hay! My eyes swell up if i don't wash my hands after touching bunnie, hamster or any of the stuff! Put drops in and calms down after few hours! I also have asthma and can have a major attack if irritated by the shavings or any dust or a hair gets in my mouth to back of throat I have a very serious attack! I do have allergy tablets but forget to take them most of time not that they do much anyway but I have noticed over the past few months to a year i am reacting less and less to pets and the shavings, dust etc! A hair in my throat is still dangerous for me though for asthma which is why i have to try remember not to go near bunnie when got pj's on as it always happens when i asleep wake up having masive attack cos a hair been sucked in! Hope you can keep bun though good luck!

With the bonding I would try all 3 together otherwise you will have to do it twice which will be stressful for all! :D

In the meantime you could try to keep them all close to each other so they know there are other rabbits around and are already getting used to the scents etc. I would wait until all the rabbits are in good health before bonding, but I think you already mentioned that was your plan. I would also pet them, one straight after the other to transfer the scent as well. :D

You may find that they are practically bonded before you actually put them together! Although our bunnies live in separate groups we do have some who happily lie next to a bunny in another group with only wire mesh as a divide. That would be a really good situation to be in prior to bonding. :D

Good Luck,

Maria x

Thanks for all the advice, I've been trying to get the two rabbits I have now used to each other's scents so I hope it's working! I'm not sure when I can get smudge from my mom but cross your fingers for me that the bonding works!! :D

So I went up to my mom's house yesterday after work to discuss when I would come and get Smudge so he could live with me. My brother who is allergic came in while my mom and I were talking and told us both he had been thinking it over and decided that he couldn't stand to part with Smudge and that he wants to keep him!!

My mom was thrilled, to say the least, and told him it was his decision as he is the one affected by the rabbit. He told her he loves Smudge and doesn't want him to leave, even if its only to my house. I'm so proud of my little bro! He said he would just deal with his allergies and be extra careful about not touching the hay (which apparently he is also allergic to, didn't know that...) and washing his hands really good after playing with Smudge.

As happy as I was to take in Smudge, I'm so glad they're gonna keep him! :D:D

Aw bless your little brother! I hope he can cope and they get to stay together :D

At least you are there to look after Smudge if it does get too much in the end.

Have you tried using Petal Cleanse at all?

You can get it in the US and its a liquid that you put on a cloth and wipe over the rabbit each day to remove excess dander and allergy causing particles.

http://www.bio-life.co.uk/

Aw bless your little brother! I hope he can cope and they get to stay together :D

At least you are there to look after Smudge if it does get too much in the end.

Have you tried using Petal Cleanse at all?

You can get it in the US and its a liquid that you put on a cloth and wipe over the rabbit each day to remove excess dander and allergy causing particles.

http://www.bio-life.co.uk/

I've never heard of it but I will definitely see about getting him some, thanks!

Back