• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Incontinence Question

PET

New Kit
Hi All,

I've kept rabbits for over 25 years but I'm new to this forum. I'm having an unusual problem with some of my rabbits and wondered if anyone has any ideas on what it could be and how best to treat it.

My rabbits, of which there are 37, live in groups, trios and pairs. I have had outbreaks of urine incontinence that seem to be random (i.e. one rabbit in a group will get it, the rest will be fine, but then another in a separate group becomes ill). When I had an outbreak in 2007 the vet prescribed Baytril. This cleared the problem temporarily, but the wetness returned and eventually their condition became untreatable. Due to soreness several had to be put down.

The rest had been clear for six months but today two more developed the same symptom. My vet, who has been helpful and has made many suggestions, has run out of ideas and explanations so I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this problem.

Thanking you in advance for your assistance,
Pam

Hello

Have your Rabbits been treated for EC ?
EC is a protozoal parasite that sheds spores which migrate to various body organs and the central nervous system. One symptom of CNS involvement is urinary incontinence.

I would get all your Rabbits treated with a Benzidimidazole such as Fenbendazole (Panacur). I would also get the symptomatic Rabbits ( those who are incontinent) tested for a urinary tract infection and prescribed antibiotics if necessary.
It is essential that *all* your Rabbits are treated with a Benzidimazole.
Care must be taken with husbandry and a bleach solution should be used to clean all accomodation.

Here is some info on EC

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rwf/articles/ecuniculi.htm

This is the treatment licenced for use in Rabbits in the UK

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Intervet_UK_Ltd/Panacur_Rabbit___18_75_ACU-_Oral_Paste/-42086.html

Janex

Last edited:
I can only second what Jane has said. Encephalitozoon Cuniculi was the first thing that came into my head when I read your thread title.

As for the management of urine burnt rabbits the best thing would be to get urine samples tested for infection or even a high calcium concentration which could lead to stones/sludgey bladder and have the fur shaved around the bottoms of the affected rabbits to prevent it acting as a sponge and absorbing the urine and holding it against the skin.

A barrier cream such as vaseline or sudocreme can then be applied to protect the skin although those with already inflammed skin may need a corticosteroid preperation such as Fuciderm applied.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for your swift responses Jack's-Jane and Sooz22. I have already printed off the EC information and will take it to my vet asap.

I've heard of EC, but had never experienced it. I will keep you posted on developments.

Thanks again.

I once had a bunny that was incontinent. Blood tests and scans revealed nothing. Panacure treatment, antibiotics etc. made no difference. I changed her food to a high protein pellet and bingo, it stopped the problem! To this day I don't know what it was in the new food that cured the problem, but something did. So perhaps a change of pellets might be the answer?

In my case, I changed from Allan & Page to Spillers High Protein Pellets and all of my bunnies are still on this and doing great.

Vera

Last edited:
Testing the urine would be a good way to work out what's going on. That way you could rule out (or in) urinary infection. You can get a sample with a clean (but empty) litter tray or your vet can provide a special litter tray with sterile gravel (usually used for testing cats).

Thanks for all your info. Remarkably, bunnies are now dry. However, I am trying to find a supplier for Spiller's high protein pellets and have asked my vet to order me Lapizole, as advertised in Fur & Feather for E. Cuniculi.

I'll let you know of any developments!

Pam

we had a similar problem with bertie but had to concede it was a territorial thing. And it was!

panacurs available online too.i get mine from pet vet meds.

Hi bunny fans, this morning I was jubiliant my two wet bunnies dry; have had them on Lapizole for a few days have also kept them creamed with Sudocream so no soreness. Not so jubilant now as another bunny now has it, she lives in a family group and is the only one affected, back to the Lapizole and Sudocream I guess, hope the magic works again! Have had no luck finding a stockist for Spillers high protein pellets so if any body in Spalding or Boston area of Lincs knows a supplier please let me know.

Back