• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any tips for building a run?

houndour

Warren Scout
We're in the process of drawing up plans to re-build the run attached to Twiglets playhouse.

At the moment it's 7 foot x 4 foot with a single lid on hinges. But it's getting old and wobbly. The new one needs to be the same, as I want to re-use the wire.

So we've learnt from the existing run to use thicker wood this time. To get bigger bolts (as the small ones don't give much leeway for expanding wood).

I was also thinking of making the lid as 2 door hinges. So one could access it from both sides, and each side would fold over onto the other side, if that makes any sense. I find the single lid a bit difficult to deal with on my own and it was too heavy for the hinges. We'll only have the need to access the run for cleaning, so I don't think having only 1 side open at a time will be a problem.

I want to make this a little bit special for Twiggy. She's had a tough life with us, she's got snuffles, lost her mate Eeyore a year ago, and we haven't had success bonding her since. I want to create something fun for her.

I thought about a digging box in one corner. (the run will be on paving slabs). This will be about 60cm x 50cm.

And another wooden box (with a lid for cleaning access), about 60cm x 50cm with a tube (1 meter long gas piping we got from the road) leading into it, so a kind of burrow effect. We could fill it with hay.

Any other ideas welcome. Always love to see other peoples runs if anyone wants to shows theirs off?

DSC00213.jpg

Sounds like you've already given it quite a bit of thought, which would have been my first tip!!
Seriously, take time to imagine working in and around it, make access as easy as possible for you and the buns. If the rabbits are allowed free range in the garden also, make a little gate in the side so they can get in and out themselves.
I found the lid on one of mine too heavy as well, so instead of doing two panels of 5' x 3.5' (to cover a 7' x 5') I made four smaller panels, one is fixed on in the top corner permanently, and the others on hinges so that I only have to have a small area open whilst I'm working in there (my little lops love trying to jump out, and 3' is nothing to them).

hiya :wave:

here's mine. its not perfect but it suffices. there are things i didnt realise till i was halfway through it so a really thorough plan is essential! i put a little hutch in for shelter, and some waterproof canvas over it to keep out the rain, and some toys and things....i hungs some of the toys up on string, they like to stretch up to grab them

good luck!

newcrabs001.jpg

me.jpg

Here's Lillie & Troopers. It's 10 ft x 4 ft and built mostly with 2" x 2" treated timber nailed together. It's about 5 years old now (recently re-painted in the piccie) and still going strong. The top is in 3 sections with just the centre panel hinged, Don't have a problem cleaning each end despite me being 6' 3" tall. :lol: The bunnies seem to enjoy the arrangement of paving slabs - jumping on the top and chilling in the 'cave' in summer. They used to eat the grass in the seed tray but recently decided it was an outdoor litter tray :roll:

Run.jpg

Have fun building your new one

Mike

Last edited:
Thanks for all the pictures and ideas.

I love the idea of a little hatch in the run for bunny access, but probably unnecessary for ours as Twiggy's will be attached to the playhouse and she has access to the garden by just leaving the door open.

A question about the treated wood, I assume this is safe for bunnies? Is it treated as in treated for against weather? I did google what sort of wood I should use, but couldn't really come up with anything useful. Our current run was built on a budget and the wood for the frame was £6. Still it's lasted 2 years, so not too bad.

Is plywood OK for making the box out of?

May I just say Lillie and Troopers looks like a bunny mansion with its own grounds:shock: its absolutely amazing.

Lucky buns:D

Thank you. I was wondering about calling Channel 4 about a new programme - 'Grand Designs for Bunnies'.
I'm currently giving the shed interior a makeover :lol:

Mike

I would def get in touch with c4 - your buns would be famous with that set up:D

It looks like its straight froma glossy magazine:shock:

Thanks for all the pictures and ideas.

A question about the treated wood, I assume this is safe for bunnies? Is it treated as in treated for against weather?

Is plywood OK for making the box out of?

The treatment helps to protect against wet rot etc and I fixed the mesh on the inside to stop any gnawing just incase it wasn't pet safe.

Exterior or WBP ply is needed for oudoor use and a pet friendly wood treatment will prolong it's life. In time water tends to get between the layers of ply through the cut edges causing it to de-laminate.

Mike

Thank you HS, that's very useful.

I'm still in a bit of a pickle as to how to make the lid.

I think after reading everything I'd like both sides accessible, but I don't think 1 side at a time will be a problem. I really wanted it so that when 1 side is opened, the lid would fold back flat on top of the other lid. I'm not sure how to go about doing that. I'm really struggling to describe the problem :) I think I'm probably best taking a drawing to B&Q and asking someone there for help.

Thank you HS, that's very useful.

I'm still in a bit of a pickle as to how to make the lid.

I really wanted it so that when 1 side is opened, the lid would fold back flat on top of the other lid. I'm not sure how to go about doing that.

Can't you fix a piece of timber across the top in the middle and attach the lid hinges to that rather than each end?

Mike

My dad made a run with a hinged roof, and in fact Bobby and Ruby's run hinges back
You can just about see here
DSCN0671.jpg

This is their run, you can see how the top is in separate parts, hinged together, so I can get in to clean!
bunnyrun.jpg

Can't you fix a piece of timber across the top in the middle and attach the lid hinges to that rather than each end?

Mike

That's the plan, having a piece of wood, but I couldn't picture in my head how the hinges would work, but the photo aboves shows that. I totally have it now :) Thanks everyone!

Back