• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Head tilt & e cuniculi

I'm new to this forum but hope it can help with advice for my bun charlie. He is a 3 1/2 year old lop, normally very healthy living in a "penthouse" for a hutch and spending most of his time out in the back garden. I had a massive shock on Xmas Eve when I went to him as normal and found him twisted to one side with a head tilt, darting eye and rocking head. I immediately rushed him to the vet who diagnosed one of 2 things - inner ear infection or ec. He gave him a couple of injections (steroids/anti biotics & possibly a third but I can't remember) and gave me a supply of Baytril for 5 days and Panacur. By Boxing day morning the eye darting and head rocking had lessened & he was a bit perkier. He started to drink water and since then has been taking apple, carrot peelings & greens. Not touching his own food though and still got a head tilt and dizzy when moved.
Took him to a different vet last night who had come recommended as more bunny savvy. I was concerned as we'd finished the baytril & all that I'd read in the meantime suggested Charlie needed continuing medication. This vet suggested that the more likely cause was ec but couldn't rule out ear infection, although examination of the outer ear didn't reveal anything abnormal. She has prescribed a continuity of Panacur and nothing else. She said Baytril was short term as it can affect bun's digestive system. I have to go back in 10 days, as long as Charlie gets no worse.
This am he is very quiet in his box inside. He has eaten some veggies over night and drunk water this am. Won't touch hay. Still got a head tilt and very unsteady when moving. Just wants lots of stokes!
Have read lots over the net in past few days. I think it probably is ec especially when I read that one of the clinical signs can be mild liver failure resulting in increased thirst. We have been commenting in past month or so how his thirst has increased but didn't put it down to anything untoward.
I just need advice and info from anyone whose bun has been through something similar. Should the vet be prescribing anything more than Panacur? What was the outcome for your buns? Practically is there anything else I can do, feed etc?
A very worried bun mum.:cry

my british giant has had ec and was extremely poorly she is now much better but will never be 100% you will find they lose the use of their hind legs and she has gone blind in one eye, snow white had a course of panacur for 28 days and septrin for a wk as when she had ec she then showed signs on pasturella and luckily now lives well away from everything else

elaine

Hi. :wave:

Welcome to the forum, I know how worried you must be about your bunny.

I am sure someone with experience of head tilt/EC will be along in a bit to offer help and advice.

In the meantime if you use the search option on the forum you will probably find lots of threads that are linked to head tilt.

I do hope Charlie soon recovers.

Vanessa xx

Hello

I am sorry your Bun is poorly :cry: If it is EC then a minimum of 6 weeks Panacur is needed. Anti-inflammatories can help with the head-tilt which is caused be inflammatory changes that occur in the central nervous system when invaded by EC spores. I have also had success with using STEMITIL to help with the Buns loss of balance/dizziness.

It is important to keep your Buns guts working whilst he is poorly. If his poos are very small/few in number then you may need to supplement the little he is eating for himself with some syringe feeds of Critical Care/Science Recovery. Your Vet should be able to supply these.

Recovery from EC can be a long slow process involving lots of intensive nursing care. Some Buns are left with a permanent head-tilt but they eventually adapt to it and consequently cope well.

Here are some links you may want to read

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=106163&highlight=head+tilt

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rwf/articles/ecuniculi.htm

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/tilt.html

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/treatment.shtml

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/head_tilt.htm

It may take many weeks but your Bun can recover.

Janex :)

Our Barry got ill 3 1/2 months ago and was first diagnosed with a stroke, and therefore we only got him on Panacur a week later. He spent the first three weeks just constantly rolling about and I had to partially hand-feed him as he wasn't able to stand still to drink etc. I was so horrified that I almost considered letting him out of his misery, but I'm glad that I didn't because he's almost fully recovered: his head tilt is almost gone and the only thing left is his tendency to occasionally go in circles like a dog chasing its tail every and inability to climb stairs or jump onto the bed - but he can blinky again!

Many thanks for all of your advice so far. We have had a difficult day with charlie to the extent that we took him back to the vet this am and feared the very worse. The vet gave us a 50/50 chance and gave him anti inflams. He keeps rolling but is still taking small amounts of veggies and drinking water, which I am hand feeding to him. Its just so sad to see him.:( But let's keep our spirits up that the outcome will be good:D!

My Charlie was being treated for both the EC and ear infection as we weren't sure which one it was, I'm certain it was an ear infection now though.

We went through a terrible time with him rolling etc., he couldn't walk anywhere without completely rolling over, into his water and everything. His appetite was always pretty good although we did syringe him water as I wasn't sure he was able to balance properly to drink it himself. Jack's Jane recommended the Stemitil for him which I got from the vets - he is still on it at the moment although we are ready to wean him off after the New Year holidays are out of the way. This for Charlie was a Godsend! His eyes stopped darting and he was able to gain his balance. I'm pleased to say he now darts about everywhere and binkies and although he still occasionally rolls over (when he is ultra-giddy) it's not nearly as often.

He did get a lot worse before he started getting better though - that was the hardest part for us - not knowing whether he was going to pick up at all. You have to persevere - Charlie just wanted lots and lots of loving.

He still has a head tilt and I don't think he will ever get rid of it but it doesn't seem to bother him at all.

I think with the EC, you have to be extremely clean with their toilet area as they can often reinfect themselves. We had Panacur for 28 days in all I think. He was also on Baytril for about the same length of time and he had two doses of the anti-inflammatry.

I hope this helps you a bit, I know it's slightly different if your Charlie has EC but please keep us updated on his progress

PS: Charlie started being ill at the end of September!! It can be a long haul but don't give up. It's worth it in the end

Last edited:
I think with the EC, you have to be extremely clean with their toilet area as they can often reinfect themselves.

Yes, a 10% solution of bleach and water, and left for half an hour will kill spores. I was using Virkon for ages, not realising that it doesn't kill EC! :roll:

Hi. Just to update you on Charlie. Not a good start to 2008 as we had to have him pts yesterday.:cry: He was very poorly, had lost so much weight in the past week that he was just so weak. We had been syringe feeding him and whilst he still had an appetite for some veggies and was drinking it just wasn't enough to stop him from failing. When he lost his balance he couldn't right himself for ages and the vet said that this was because the pressure & dizziness from the inflamation was getting worse. I asked about using stemtil but the vet felt that as the underlying cause of the dizziness was not improving he was just too weak to continue meds. I had to agree as it was just so sad to see him suffering. I had spent a week intensively nursing him inside & I like to think he knew that I was doing all I could for him. He spent his last few hours taking in the fresh air as we opened the back door for him just to try and make him as peaceful as poss, remembering his beloved back garden where he spent most of his days and where he will now be placed to sleep tightly.
Thanks for the advice that you posted for Charlie. He is already greatly missed. One good thing that has come from this site is that rather than now going to a pet store to choose the next member of our family, I have some great links to rescue centres and this time we are going to look to adopt 2 buns who need a new home. We have a garden just waiting for them!:)
Thanks again,
Tracey.

Hi. Just to update you on Charlie. Not a good start to 2008 as we had to have him pts yesterday.:cry: He was very poorly, had lost so much weight in the past week that he was just so weak. We had been syringe feeding him and whilst he still had an appetite for some veggies and was drinking it just wasn't enough to stop him from failing. When he lost his balance he couldn't right himself for ages and the vet said that this was because the pressure & dizziness from the inflamation was getting worse. I asked about using stemtil but the vet felt that as the underlying cause of the dizziness was not improving he was just too weak to continue meds. I had to agree as it was just so sad to see him suffering. I had spent a week intensively nursing him inside & I like to think he knew that I was doing all I could for him. He spent his last few hours taking in the fresh air as we opened the back door for him just to try and make him as peaceful as poss, remembering his beloved back garden where he spent most of his days and where he will now be placed to sleep tightly.
Thanks for the advice that you posted for Charlie. He is already greatly missed. One good thing that has come from this site is that rather than now going to a pet store to choose the next member of our family, I have some great links to rescue centres and this time we are going to look to adopt 2 buns who need a new home. We have a garden just waiting for them!:)
Thanks again,
Tracey.

I am so sorry your Bun did not make it :cry: It is clear how much you love him and did everything possible to help him.
And to say that you will eventually feel able to offer a forever home to 2 Rescue Buns is a wonderful tribute to Charlie

Binky Free Charlie, no more earthly ills to trouble you now

Janex

I am sorry to hear your sad news, I don't think you could have done any more or tried any harder for your bunny. Binky free Charlie.

Will look forward to hear of your new bunnies when they arrive. I am sure you will make two bunnies very happy.

Thinking of you
Vanessa xx

So sorry to hear this. One of mine is being treated at the moment and I know we may also have to make this difficult decision.

I think that the bunnies you adopt will be very lucky to have such a caring owner.

bella - head tilt / e-cuniculi

Hi, i am wondering if anyone can help me ?
I have a female rabbit (Bella) who is around 18 months. She has recently developed head tilt or (possibly) e-cuniculi very suddenly. I had noticed it the night before my mum and dad were going away for the weekend. The next day we were taking them (Bella and her sister Daisy) to a 'Rabbit Hotel' as i call it. When we got there the lady (Sharon) told us to take her to the vets immediately. So we got an appointment within 1 hour. The vet then put her on 2mg of Baytril for 5 days (with 2mg of water) She went home that day. So after 4 days (Monday) she went back to the vets. The vet was surprised that she was even alive let alone that she was eating and drinking as normal. He gave her some more Baytril and a Anti-inflammatory. On Wednesday my mums friend (who is a veterinary nurse ) asked her vet what else we could do. She then came round with Panacur which she needs to be on for 28 days. So far although she is still eating and drinking aswell and running around the garden albeit a bit punch drunk, there is no improvement in the head tilt which is breaking our hearts as we´d like to know for sure that she is not in any pain. We are going back to the vets tomorrow again.
Has anyone else had an experience like this and has anyone got any ideas or thoughts?
Anything greatly received.

Back