• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Castration?

As someone of you already know we have a pair of holland lops,one male and one female,we have planned that we take the male one to surgery so they can live in "peaceful" environment ,but then we read some articles which are saying that female rabbits develop some form of uterine cancer(up to 85%), so we are asking what are you experiences? should we also take her to surgery,and how old they should be,when is optimal time? now they are 3 months old.
thanks in advance.:D

:wave: i would get them both done as it will make them both less horminal etc and it does remove the risk of uterine cancer which i think is quite high. The age for girls is 6 months and the same for boys although my vet said as long as they can see the balls they can operate on boys so my last bunny was done at 5 months-ish.

yeah i would do both buns ... i lost a bun choccy to uterine cancer it broke my heart... but only didnt get her done as i lost my rabbit before her (who i had neuterd) not long after the op and felt id put her thru it for nothing.... but had since had chels neutered and she was fine... not sure which age is best... but i knw it helps with hormone probs im sure jane or someone a bit more expeirianced will know more!

the most important thing is to get an experienced rabbit vet to operate, especially on the female as there is a lot that can go wrong with the girl's operation if the vet has only dealt with cats before - their needs are totally different. It's much more straightforward for the boys operation, but he still needs isofluorane gas rather than regular anaesthetic, which does cost more but he will recover quicker. It's also very important to feed them right up to surgery, so even if the vet receptionist tells you to starve them (as for a cat or dog) DO NOT!

Back