• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newbie Questions

Wispa & Zola

Mama Doe
I've only ever had pets that require their food bowl to be full all the time, with Wispa how often do i feed her and how much?

I know that she has to have hay readily avaliable and that veg will be in small amounts to get her used to it, but after that how much should she get a day?

How old before she can be spayed?

When does she need vaccinations?

Thanks guys :thumb:

(im not neglecting my bun i dont pick her up till monday!!!)

I feed mine a handful of pellets in the morning. If your bun's a baby you can give extra until a bit more grown up.

Veg - I give about a handful each every evening.

She can be spayed at 6 mths, vaccinations from 10 weeks I think for myxi and VHD.

Yes many people recommend free feeding pellets till they are older (not sure what age though :? maybe 8months?) but then others say you should start them on mostly hay. If you can, try to get some of the food your new bun has been eating from the rescue or wherever yo are getting her. After that a small handful of pellets morning and night is usual. Mine are indoors and have teeth problems so they have less pellets to get them to eat more hay. Hope that helps :D
Oh veg, I give mine half a leaf of spring greens each about everyday.

so its not like a i have to measure a certain amount in conjunction with how much the rabbit weighs

ie 1 cup per 5lb of rabbit?? twice a day etc

Not really. With pellets it's just important that they're not fed too much so they don't get fat. The recommendations on the bags are usually too generous. As long as they're eating plenty of good quality hay anything else is a bonus.

Not really. With pellets it's just important that they're not fed too much so they don't get fat. The recommendations on the bags are usually too generous. As long as they're eating plenty of good quality hay anything else is a bonus.

My larger bunnies (3 - 3.5kg) have an eggcupful of pellets each day, split over two portions, the nethies (1 - 1.wkg) have just under half an eggcupful each, split into two portions.
They have a leaf of spring greens, a carrot + top and a sprout each throughout the day as well as unlimited hay. They have hay in various containers and racks all over their hutch, so wherever they are, they can be munching.

Back