• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

losing hope U/D 18.12.07 :)

kellycartmel

Warren Scout
coxi plus treatment stopped 2 weeks ago (the day I broke my ankle), Lucky went back for weigh in today and he's gone from 2.25kg to 1.5kg, he's not a well boy.

He's been kept in and is on a drip but this is exactly where we were with Thumper in August so I can't see a lot of hope here. I have to ring the vet tonight for an update but I honestly think that if there's no hope we should probably just make sure he's not going to suffer in the coming weeks. Its getting colder outside and I just think it won't be fair.

I really don't know what to do and the vets seem mystified now since all the tests said coccidia

Last edited:
I've just read your other thread for the first time, and there's a few things I don't understand which I wonder if you could shed a bit of light on for future reference with bunnies please :)

Did the rabbits ever receive treatment for e-cuniculi (a couple months course of panacur)? the one you lost a few months ago had what I always thought was e-cuniculi symptoms, as does this one that's ill now.

coccidia - is present in a lot of rabbits guts - it's only a problem if they are weakened by stress or some other condition, in which case the coccidia bacteria overwhelm the 'good' bacteria and they get very ill.

The treatment recommended for liver coccidia is sulfaquinoxaline - the dosage is listed here in this article if your vet doesn't usually use it: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/171332.htm&word=coccidia,rabbits

in addition, with the boarding situation, rabbits being boarded are under stress, and therefore vulnerable to a flare-up of coccidia which they might not have succumbed to at home - and they are able to infect any animals using the exercise area or housing after them, unless it's rigourously disinfected with dilute jeyes fluid or steam-cleaned.

they never received any treatment for EC, the vet ruled that out with Thumper in the early stages (I can't remember why though).

The coccidia was confirmed after a huge amount of tests on Lucky and all the bunnies were treated as they all share the same exercise area on grass.

The treatment you mentioned is what we did, we scrubbed and disinfected all hutches and runs on day 1, treatment for 7 days, scrubbing out again, break for 5 days then a further 7 days treatment followed by another round of disinfecting.

I shall mention EC again tonight to the vet when I talk to her, at this stage anything seems to be worth a try.

Oh dear, sorry to hear this :cry:

Has your bunny had a blood test to assess liver function recently? Sadly sometimes coccidia can cause irreversible damage to the liver and this can explain ongoing symptoms and a sudden decline after the bun seems to be getting better. It might be worth checking out as it could give you a really good indication as to whether there is hope of a recovery, and you will then feel more confident about the decision you potentially have to make.

Hope your little one is ok xx

it was coxi plus the one i've seen recommended on here - normally used for pigeons

Get your vets to prescribe Trimethoprim....its a human antibiotic suspension which is effective against Cociddia infections. Its what we used during our Coccidia issues and it was recommended by Francis Harcourt Brown and Bristol Rabbit Clinic.

They will issues you a prescription to redeem at Boots pharmacy.

Coxoid is just not strong enough and only effective against some strains of Coccidia.....it better as a preventative NOT a treatment in rabbits.

The dose rate is 4ml per Kg body weight.

Last edited:
i've spoken to the vet nurse, he's eating well (no surprise there!) and i've told her the name of that antibiotic and the dosage.

I'm getting him home tomorrow but if I ring in the morning to say what time i'll be in then they'll make sure I can see the vet to get this prescription sorted out.

I'm considering keeping him indoors over the winter (with flo) until he's built up a bit and a much healthier weight. Good or bad idea?

Yes certainly keep him indoors....poorly rabbits strugle to maintain there body temperature and as he has been inside and warm at the vets it would be unkind to turn him back out after a few days of recovery.

Lucky has gone back tonight for a weight check, he's put on 300g :D bad news is his lungs don't sound good and the vet is suspecting early stages pneumonia or a pasturella infection.

He's prescribing Trimethoprim, i said that's what i'd been recommended and he said that it was his first choice for rabbits, obviously explained the risks of antibiotics for rabbits but at this stage its a risk worth taking.

So we're a little happier now, we have something to try and its better than doing nothing.

Has your vet prescribed a probiotic to add to the water? It will help protect his good gut flora against the negative impact of the antibiotics.

Im so pleased he is doing better :D

not sure yet because we haven't got the actual drugs, he only had the injectable version on him and we're getting oral so he's going to ask the chemist to make up a flavoured version for us.

he's new to our practice, originally from ireland and seems really expert on his rabbit knowledge

edited to say - its dh who's been doing the vet trips, vet rang to give me the info cos i've got a broken ankle so can't get out :lol:

Ok well be sure to ask for some...his guts need all the help they can get.

Bio-Lapis, Protexin Fiberplex or Avi-Pro Plus are all good.

BTW the oral suspension is aniseed flavoured and very very sticky!

Little update!

Lucky went back for a check up last night after 2 weeks on the trimethropin and was weighed, he's put on another 800g and his lungs are clear!

The vet is very happy with him and as long as he is maintaining weight then we don't have to take him back until after the new year :D

Little update!

Lucky went back for a check up last night after 2 weeks on the trimethropin and was weighed, he's put on another 800g and his lungs are clear!

The vet is very happy with him and as long as he is maintaining weight then we don't have to take him back until after the new year :D

Great news :D

Janex

Little update!

That's great news:D

Back