• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hard to clean toilet area

Tempest

Warren Scout
Rowan decided a couple of weeks ago it'd be a great idea to hang her bum over the edge of the second level of her hutch to use the ramp as a toilet :rolleyes:

The problem is it's really becoming a hygiene issue, I have to lay sawdust over the ramp and sweep it off everyday but theres just too much it's soaking the ramp and I just can't get it clean no matter how hard I try :?

Is there anything I can do to put in the ramp to make it easier to clean? It's got bars of wood going across so the damp sawdust gets stuck. Any ideas? I should mention she likes to move her toilet area randomly every so often but always goes back to the same areas after awhile.

soaking the ramp in vinegar then allowing it to dry out in a warm place for a few days is probably your best bet. if you are any good at DIY you could make two or three extra ramps from wood and rotate them. (ie...one in use while second cleaning/drying and a spare...)

soaking the ramp in vinegar then allowing it to dry out in a warm place for a few days is probably your best bet. if you are any good at DIY you could make two or three extra ramps from wood and rotate them. (ie...one in use while second cleaning/drying and a spare...)

I'm no good at DIY, but my dad is so I'll get him to make some spare ramps after I've measured the current ramp :lol: Thanks for th idea, it probably is all I can really do about it :D

Are you sure she is actually doing it there deliberately and not just kicking the sawdust down? Have you tried using a highback litter tray?(not a corner one) Put some of her soiled sawdust in it and put the high part of the tray on the area she reverses up to before weeing.Try dispensing with the sawdust on the floor of the hutch and put down some sticky-backed floor tiles instead as it's easier to keep clean. You could also put some hay and bedding in another tray to give her somewher soft to sit and you might even find she'll adopt that as her new toilet. They're a fickle lot, these bunnies!:lol: If she does that you could very graually move it inch by inch over several days into the area you want her to use.

I've tried litter trays before, she just moves to use somewhere else even with putting some of the soiled bedding in there :rolleyes:

It's a awkward place as it's right next to the hole to go into her sleeping area and most trays are going to end up getting in her way when she tries to go through. :?

and yes I am sure she's doing it deliberately, before I started putting saw dust on the ramp to absorb the urine there never was any kicked down, it just got very wet. At first I thought her hutch had a leak somewhere, but I couldn't work out why it was only the ramp :roll:

Back