• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter question

Hugbut

Mama Doe
I'm trying to adjust to having an indoor bun - Hugo's always had a litter tray in his hutch when he was outside & i just used to line it with newspaper & clean it everyday.However, now he's in the house, i want an actual litter to put in his tray & i'm not sure which to get.I read somewhere that you shouldn't use the clay stuff with rabbits as it can be harmful if they eat it - but then i read that most people use the clay variety :? Is it safer to use a woodbased litter or would you suggest something else?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Any clumping type of cat litter is dangerous because if they eat any of it, it will clog up their guts. Wood based ones are ok, although some of them are quite strong smelling so try and avoid any that have a pine type smell as these contain phenols which are bad for buns.

There are also other products like megazorb (a horse bedding), carefresh, ecobed etc, but I don't have indoor buns so I'll leave the specific recommendations to others!

i use the wood pellets..... easily available at my local tescos... no smell and he shows no interest in eating them..

its also the pine shavings that are dangerous with phenols, the wood pellets have them removed with the high temperatures used during manufacture....worded more techinally on the web but thats my understanding

Last edited:
wood based litter is fine also paper based.
I find megazorb lighter though and a large sack lasts ages:D

Megazorb is made from wood pulp.Made for horses bedding i think.I use it for my guinea pigs bedding and in my rabbits litter trays.

we used to use saw dust - too messy, then wood pellets - too heavy, and now we use megazorb which is great cos it's not so hard on bun's hocks :D

I used to use sawdust covered in hay but thought I'd try megazorb as our local horse shop has it. It's nice stuff, sort of soft and not quite so prone to getting kicked out. I also don't use newspaper to line the inside of my tray because we compost and it takes ages to break down. Megazorb just falls off the sides when emptying rather than sticking like sawdust does so easier on the sink.

Back