• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Winter Accommodation

kayjay

Warren Veteran
I have Pippa and MJ in a HH hutch over run. They have access to both 24/7 and choose to spend most of their time in the run. I've recently started feeding them in their hutch and they are using it more, evidently by the amount of poops up there!

My question is as the weather grows colder what do I do? I had an email from the RWA saying that as our rabbits don't snuggle in a warren to keep warm we should ensure they have lots of bedding to keep them warm in winter which made me think about the wisdom of allowing them access to the run all the time, as they tend to sit there in all weathers

What does anyone else do who give their rabbits 24/7 access to the run? Should I start shutting them in their hutch once the temperatures dip towards freezing or do I allow them to continue to be in their run, which is their preference?

Mine stay out in their enclosures. I put extra hay in their hutches, but the rabs choose not to go in them. They prefer to sleep on top of their hutches, whatever the weather. I throw a couple of handfuls of hay onto their hutches at night time and that's it. They seem to like being out there.

I have my buns outside all year round and they have access to both 24/7 via a cat flap so dont really get a draft. They choose to sit in the run about 90 percent of the time like yours! So long as you winterproof everything well i dont see any problem. After all if your buns were too cold in the run they wouldnt go and sit in it. I would say as long as you ensure there is a place that is snug and warm they can go to if they choose then there wont be a problem. Well i never have with mine - and one of them is quite a smallish bun and shes usually outside most of the time too!! If you can buy a snugglesafe heatpad for the hutch bit that would give you peace of mind too. Hopethis helps you :p

Thanks, that makes me feel a bit better :) They are going to be shut in the hutch next weekend for a few nights due to fireworks but they really don't like being shut up there. I've got a snugglesafe so will use that, it might encourage them into their hutch more in the coldest weather

I think rabbits are terrified of being trapped in an enclosed space if a predator comes along... That's sometimes why they sit in the run.

They're sometimes more eager to go in a hutch if it has more than one entrance, so they don't feel trapped.

Amy

If there cold they will go in there hutch if they feel ok they will stay outside i would just leave it up to them,let mine out this morn and they felt the rain then went back in:lol:

If there cold they will go in there hutch if they feel ok they will stay outside i would just leave it up to them,let mine out this morn and they felt the rain then went back in:lol:

I don't think Pippa and MJ are that sensible though :roll: When I had Teddy and Jemima, on a foul day, they were sensibly tucked up in their hutch, Pippa and MJ were hanging on to each other in gales and rain!! So I crawled in and insisted they went upstairs. They are using their hutch more though since I carpeted the ramp so maybe they might now... we'll see :lol:

Nah your buns do have sense!! they not as daft as you think!! If they were really bothered they would go inside. Dont worry - like is said as long as they do have somewhere they can go thats warm if they choose they wil be happy!

Mine have 24 hour access to their runs. Part of the run has shelter from the wind and rain part of it doesn't. Their hutches are dry at all times! If the rabbit chooses to sit in a cold drafty part of the run rather than the hutch, then it is their choice.

The importnat thing is that you have provided them with a warm sheltered area to go into should they wish to. If it wet and windy my two to retreat into the bedroom area of the hutch, the the weather has to be pretty extreme for them to bother. So they know it's there should they need to retreat, I guess that they just not bothered by what we would consider undesirable weather!

The first winter I had Barley I shut him in the hutch during bad weather, and he just got depressed, just sat around, didn't move and just looked sad. I have not bothered with it since!

Hannah

Back