• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Quick advice needed - just found male bunny in my garden!

Nixz

Young Bun
I went outside and there was a bunny in my garden, i was trying to catch him as he was obviously someones pet (i dont know of any of my neighbours who have one) and my bunny, daisy got out of the house and the male bunny got to her for a very brief second before i managed to get him and contain him.
I obviously have to find his owner but - im really worried that ididnt get to her intime, if you see what i mean.
How long does 'the act' take??!

It lasted about 2 seconds, hopefully i got there in time!
Yes, we are going to get her speyed, our local vet doesnt do it normally (there is a locum in the surgery for another week) but I will speak with him when he returns.
If i didnt make it in time - is it just a waiting game?

does the male bunny look relatively healthy as not only is pregnancy a possibility but any disease that he maybe harbouring is too;)

Oh dear :shock: I'd definitely book her in for an emergency spay this week - even if you have to take her to a different surgery where there is a vet confident with spaying.

A couple of years ago someone on here had two rabbits they were going to bond and she let them see each other briefly to see if they'd get on, the male hopped on the female and she literally pulled him off straight away but she had babies 4 weeks later.

If you can get her spayed in the next couple of days then it would be much safer for her and obviously if you wait a week or so then there may well be proper babies forming. I'd say there is an extremely high chance that she is pregnant.

Hello - thought i would post an update.
I am taking my rabbit into the vets tomorrow, i have spoken with the local bunny rescue and they have given me the name of a local vet who regulary spays female bunnys - phew.
As for the little imp who has caused all this trouble, the owners were very rude to us this evening and have said that they wished that the rabbit was dead. At which point I went and got my hubby, who promptly went round to tell the horrible family what he thought of them and we have a new addition to our family!!!!!!!
(Who will also be visiting the vet very soon!)
At the moment, Charlie (as we have named him) is in the kitchen with a wire gate on the door with Daisy on the other side.
Will be paying attention to the bonding threads!!!!!
Phew - what an eventful day!

Gosh what an eventful day! Well done for being so quick off the mark on all counts there, and congratulations on your new addition, poor little thing I'm sure he'll be much happier now :D Fingers crossed they will be able to be bonded after they've both had their ops and live as husbun and wife!

Ah, it was obviously meant to be. The reason we have rabbits now is because we found the first one hopping around the road in the middle of the night - that was nearly 6 years ago.

Wise move going to vets tomorrow! Good luck.

Gosh, i'm glad theres people like you out there awfl family saying that about the poor little man. Do you think they let him out on purpose to get rid of him ?:shock: by the sounds of them it wouldn't suprise me

I know quite a few people whove had their rabbit/s escape and then be relieved as the problem has 'sorted' itself out.....they never make any atempt to retrieve the poor bunny.

Hope little Charlie realises how lucky he is :D

UpDATE - my vet is back and he actually DOES neuter both sexes regulary (silly locum) and they are both booked in for tomorrow morning!
An expensive weekend!
But worth it!

Aww bless him.

At least you know they're already keen on each other :lol:.

What an awful thing to say about Charlie though - some people are just plain ignorant and nasty.

I know quite a few people whove had their rabbit/s escape and then be relieved as the problem has 'sorted' itself out.....they never make any atempt to retrieve the poor bunny.

Hope little Charlie realises how lucky he is :D

the bunny i found last week, when i returned her to her owners they mentioend how she'd escaped a week ago (but they hadnt bothered catching her), and that she had had 24 babies...i asked them had tehn considered neuturing, and told tehm about uterus cancer...i dont think they really cared atall..i felt so awful for the poor girl, like i'd saved her then returned her to taht hell hole!i cant believe some owners!i'd be mortified if mien escaped, and so relieved if soemoen found and returne dthem.

well doen on doing teh right thing!

New update - it gets better!!!
I took both rabbits to the vets this morning, local vet is back and explained that they do not usually spay females as routine and they cant actually operate until Monday. I explained that there was a very good chance that Daisy was pregnant and this would be too late. They said it would be fine, but i didnt feel right about it. I was very angry. I have come home and called a vets that the local animal shelter gave me and he explained that, for safety reasons, today would really be the last day that he could spay her and he was fully booked up today. He said if i really wanted to, he could do it tomorrow but has explained at length to me the risks involved with operating on a pregnant bunny. He advised me to let her have the litter as an operation on her uterus would be very dangerous in terms of her bleeding to death. He was appalled that my local vets were happy to do it next Monday and has said that Daisy would have probably bled to death on the operating table if i had gone ahead.
I am furious. Charlie is booked in tomorrow but i have to let Daisy go ahead and have the litter as the risks to her are too great.
Poor daisy :cry:
I will never go to my local vets again - i am sooooo cross.

Back