• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is compost safe? - Is shredded paper + hay ok?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
I've got a digging box for my buns and I did a thread earlier about what to include in it. I thought that from the suggestions, soil would be best. Is compost the same as soil and is it safe?

Hi
I've got a digging box for my buns and I did a thread earlier about what to include in it. I thought that from the suggestions, soil would be best. Is compost the same as soil and is it safe?

:wave: Its not the same as soil, its manufactured and the contents vary greatly from brand to brand. The main ingredient is reidue from green waste collections. It goes through many processes before it is sold. (I'm not a compost nerd but I work on marketing for a compost company :oops:)

I would err on the side of caution and say not to use it as it is developed in various forms to nurture plants so may contain elements that may harm.

we don't compost anymore. We put all the green stuff in the bin. I don't really want to be digging up my lawn so they can have soil in their digging box for them to dig in!!! And our soils have so many roots from plants and bulbs that it probably wouldn't be that safe anyway. Can I get soil from a shop or online?

i've just read a previous thread about materials in digging boxes and someone suggested shredded newspaper. Is this a good idea? And I was thinking putting meadow hay in there as well to bulk it up a bit.

Back