• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD Reaction?

foxyfaerie

Mama Doe
My buck Nyx had his VHD vaccine last night. When we came downstairs this morning it was a bit bloody between his shoulders & a bit of fur was missing. He isn't irritated by it, and it's not sore - he didn't flinch when I cleaned it up - and he's still eating (right now actually, and very noisily!) & everything else, so is this anything to worry about?

On the bright side the vet nurse was very impressed with him and said he obviously doesn't mind being handled which was nice to see, she even guessed he was a house bun! He then proceeded to show the vet he didn't want his jab by nosing the syringe onto the floor :)

Last edited:
It sounds like a local skin reaction to the vaccine.
Do keep a close eye on it as some Buns can get a nasty sore.

Did the Vet change the needle after drawing up the vaccine before administering it ?
Doing so reduces the risk of a local skin reaction as does massaging the site of vaccination for a few minutes once the dose has been given

Janex

Um...I don't think he did, no.
We were busy talking about getting him neutered, and my doe spayed; while I don't think that would have distracted him, I've also not seen him do it before - but then none of my other buns have reacted to it.

When I take Nyx in to get neutered next week I need to take his vaccine card in to get signed (I forgot it :oops: ) and I'll mention he reacted.

Back