• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just been told - Greg the bunny is a girl!!!

GregTheBunny

Warren Scout
I cant beleive it, stupid stupid petshop, so i now have 2 girls!!! what do i do? i bought them for company for each other, they have never been together, they are in the same hutch but segregated, they have been outside a couple of times together and they dont seem to fight. HELP

also vet has said that speying prolongs the life, and has suggested for both, but i am sure that i was told on here that speying takes years off there life, please help me, i only want whats best for them both

Your vet is right that spaying does prolong life, it's recommended to spay all females as about 85% apparently get uterine cancer if not. Are they aggressive towards each other at all? It's possible to spay them both, then bond them together afterwards. How old are they? I think spaying is done at 6 months. I'd go down that route personally and take your vets advice on spaying :)

Your vet is right that spaying does prolong life, it's recommended to spay all females as about 85% apparently get uterine cancer if not. Are they aggressive towards each other at all? It's possible to spay them both, then bond them together afterwards. How old are they? I think spaying is done at 6 months. I'd go down that route personally and take your vets advice on spaying :)

There is just soooo much conflicting advice isnt there. They dont seem aggressive to each other at all, they are in the same hutch/run with chicken wire between, should i try removing the chicken wire now or wait until after speying? The other one is a the vets for 1st inj later today but am fairly sure that she is a girl though, but will be checked.

greg is about 22 weeks and jess is about 18 weeks now

Well my friend has two does, unspayed, who live happily together as do a few members on here. I personally believe in spaying, and I would wait now until after they've been spayed before bonding them, purely cos if their hormones do kick in you might get a fight and once they've fought it's harder to bond them. I'd spay them, let them recover for a week or two then try them together, if they've been living side by side you may find you have no problems at all. Without spaying my bun Pippa was very hormonal and territorial and is just a happier rabbit now she's not dictated to by hormones. But there are pros and cons as no operation is without risk, do your research on spaying and talk to your vet about how many spays they do on rabbits etc and make a decision you're happy with. If you decide to wait on spaying then you could try them together now and then get them spayed together when you decide you want/can afford to

Well my friend has two does, unspayed, who live happily together as do a few members on here. I personally believe in spaying, and I would wait now until after they've been spayed before bonding them, purely cos if their hormones do kick in you might get a fight and once they've fought it's harder to bond them. I'd spay them, let them recover for a week or two then try them together, if they've been living side by side you may find you have no problems at all. Without spaying my bun Pippa was very hormonal and territorial and is just a happier rabbit now she's not dictated to by hormones. But there are pros and cons as no operation is without risk, do your research on spaying and talk to your vet about how many spays they do on rabbits etc and make a decision you're happy with. If you decide to wait on spaying then you could try them together now and then get them spayed together when you decide you want/can afford to

As a bit of an update, i have just had them running around the garden together and have had to split them up because the were fighting :( I cant beleive this has happened, the poor buns, all i was trying to do was my best for them, what would you call a real fallout? they kind of chased each other nose to tail around in circles then one (the younger) chased the other, no major bites i dont think but disturbing anyhow. What would yo:( u call normal bonding?

Bonding is like that. I've been lucky and the two bondings I did were straightforward and easy. But chasing and humping (even in same sex as it's a dominance thing) is normal. I've never seen the real aggressive fighting that I've read about, hopefully someone can be along soon to advise you more :)

Bonding is like that. I've been lucky and the two bondings I did were straightforward and easy. But chasing and humping (even in same sex as it's a dominance thing) is normal. I've never seen the real aggressive fighting that I've read about, hopefully someone can be along soon to advise you more :)

Thanks for all your help, am now crying here, poor buns. Off to vets with girl no 2 :rolleyes:

back soon

Aww don't cry, if it comes to it then you will have two spayed does that can be taken to a rescue and bonded with two neutered males. Fingers crossed your vet says this one is male!!

A real fight occurs when the oppsogin rabbits lunge and growl at each other and then 'lock on'....grab hold.....of each other nar the neck usually.

Where they trying to mount each other? This is usually what happens when they chase in circles and its to establish dominance, nothing to do with trying to mate in this instance. Its usual for some fur to get pulled out at this stage.

I would strongly recommend you get them both speyed as soon as possible (I would try to bond them now why they are young and less hormonal) and make sure that they both go to the vets together, even if only one can be speyed at a time due to the age difference.

The stats for uterine cancer are that 80% of unspeyed does over 5 years will go on to develop it.

but i am sure that i was told on here that speying takes years off there life, please help me, i only want whats best for them both

I don't understand what you mean by this. I am certain this is not the case - please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Bonding is often difficult. Don't assume that male/female bonding is easier because often it isn't. It all depends on the character of your buns. Charlie and Tia took many bonding attemps and fights. Six months later they were actually bonded.
I wouldn't give up on them yet. Hope it all goes well.

I don't understand what you mean by this. I am certain this is not the case - please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Bonding is often difficult. Don't assume that male/female bonding is easier because often it isn't. It all depends on the character of your buns. Charlie and Tia took many bonding attemps and fights. Six months later they were actually bonded.
I wouldn't give up on them yet. Hope it all goes well.

Sorry, thinking about it was when i bought the second rabbit that i was told this, wasnt on here at all

Don't forget when it comes to bonding they need to be in a totally neutral space or they will become very terratorial.

OK, so they reckon Jessica is definately a girl too. I am going to start trying to bond by letting them in the garden together as that seems to be neutral space, and then have both speyed when Jessica is 6 months (she seems the more aggressive if anything), at the same time too. Hopefully it willl all go well and they can just be happy 'friends' rather than partners :cry:

Thanks for all the help and advice, no doubt will be back!!

If they fight - separate them with your feet, not your hands. Otherwise you are likely to get chomped.

I read somewhere that if you put something tasty like peanut butter on their noses then they will like it off the other rabbit and the other rabbit will be fooled into thinking the other rabbit likes them and is grooming.

Water sprays for if you have undesired behaviour.

Don't put anything in with them that one of them thinks is theirs while bonding. If you try and enclose them a bit (like in a run you can stand in) then they will have to interact and will hopefully work it out between them sooner. Don't expect it to be love at first sight!

let them mount each other because they need to wor out who's boss. You might find you have an easier time once they are neutered.

Neutered males and spayed females are "happy friends" rather than partners too. There's no need to get upset about your bunnies both being girls :? The suggested prefered pairing is male and female but it is simply that - people have found it easier but ultimately at the end of the day it depends more on the temperament of the rabbit than the sex. I have 14 rabbits living as a group and that's 7females living together and they are not all related. I wouldn't try bonding them now if I was you - they are at the typical teenage hormonal age and I think if you're not confident you'll struggle.

My recommendation would be to wait, get them both spayed, give them 10days to get over their ops and then introduce them. But like has been said already with two females you need to have neutral territory when you introduce them othrwise they will fight.

Back