• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mixing indoors and outdoors housing

majormajor

New Kit
I was wondering if it is OK to mix indoor and outdoor housing, provided that the rabbit has adequate housing at both places. We have a rabbit currently living in a hutch in the garden but she is spending an increasing amount of time indoors, where she also has the necessary facilities (shelter, litter tray, etc.).

Now moving he indoors permanently would be very nice but also raise some problems, for example, during the summer months we keep the back door open, so she could easily escape. My main concern is that if she is kept indoors for longer periods of time she may get used to the warmer and dryer conditions inside and then if we have to put her in her outdoors run, she may catch cold or something. (Then again, the neighbours' cats come and go in and out as they please regardless of the weather so maybe it's not a problem?)

If anybody has any experience in this respect, please share your thoughts with me.

Thanks,
Majormajor

Mine are currently a mix of in and out and they are quite happy although we haven't got the heating on yet!And when they are in the hutch they have a rain sheet, carpet if its cold, snugglepad and vetbed too keep them warm in!

When it gets really cold I will be bringing them both in (mainly cos its easier for me!) but I like them to eat plenty of grass so they will still get their daily run outside and then when the weather picks up again in the spring they will go back outside

I have mine indoors now well in an outbuilding. in the summer around april i put them into outdoor hutches and bring them in October time when it gets all rainy and cold it benefits me aswell as the buns :lol:

I don't put mine outside at all in the cold months never worth it as soon as i do it rains :lol: i have a playpen in the outbuilding for them with toys readigrass e.t.c

Back