• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Taking Newly Bonded To Vets - Can people with Bonded Groups advise please?

Fairy13

Wise Old Thumper
Hi, does anyone have any advice as we are taking Boots to the vets as he is refusing any food and syringe feeding is proving a nightmare with him. He was recently bonded with his mum, sister and two brothers. Should we take someone with him to the vets? We're a bit worried about taking him on his own and also how the rest will respond on his return. Any thoughts?xxx

Last edited:
I was going to ask the exact same question. I have two bonded recently and always wondered if they should go to the vet together as would hate to separate them even for a little while. Would be awful if one had to stay in. Do vets let them stay together or what

Fingers crossed one never has to stay in at the vets but i'm not sure if the vets would let them stay together.

if you don't take them together to the vets it is possible that the other is really uneasy when he gets back, because of the vets smell on him.
This can give problems.
So if it is possible always take the group

Hi :wave: My O/H posted that for me as I was at work. I'm back now and after my O/H giving a syringe feed a try and some infacol, Boots is now eating.
However I'm still going to take him to the vet at 5.15pm today as I want him to have his teeth checked etc and try to find what could have caused it.
I dont have a carrier large enough to carry the 5!!! Should I take them all but divide them into carriers, a pair and a 3 for example. They've only been bonded a couple of weeks.
Alternatively I though about taking him with his older brother Hector - as it was those two that had the main scuffles for a couple of days when we first bonded.
Can anyone advise me please? xx

You could take him with one of them for comfort I guess.

I must confess that I tend to take mine separately (unless they both need attention)and they don't seem to have a problem accepting each other afterwards, in fact they seem thrilled I've brought the other one back!

The main reason for taking a rabbit's partner to the vet with them is the comfort they get. Going to the vet's is a very stressful time for rabbits and being separated from their partners adds to this stress. We see this time and time again at our surgery despite telling people to bring in both/all the rabbits.

This case is slightly different in as much as the bonding is only a couple of weeks old, so you have to consider the rabbits falling out after being separated too. Take Hector as he is most likely to take a dislike to Boots on his return - if you can manage three take one of the others too.

If a vet ever refuses to allow you to take your bunnies partner then, I would say, they don't know much about rabbits and it would make me question if they are the right vet to go to.

Thank you! Thats what we had thought would be the best thing to do is take 3.
We're gonna take Hector, Boots and their mum Rowan.
That way Niamh and Biscuit are left home but the original pairings are split and Boots and Hector, as you say, who are most likely to fall out will go together. Along with Rowan who had a stint of not eating for just an hour a couple of weeks ago but most unlike her, so she's coming along too.
Thanks very much, I'm glad we thought the same thing.
Oh and our vets doesn't mind I'm sure! :lol: I think she thinks we're a bit mad but we've always had pairings go in together its just this is my first ever group so I was unsure!
Thanks again!

Back