• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping house bunnies warm

Pipstrel

Mama Doe
Do I need to give them anything or will they be warm enough in the house over winter? They are downstairs in the lounge and unless the heating is on I always think its freezing but then i have rubbish circulation!

They have a nero rabbits cage which is always open with a litter tray at one end and a green shelf/house thing at the other. I was thinking of taking the green thing out and then filling the cage with straw over winter? Is this a good idea or will they be fine without. They don't have anything on the floor of cage at the moment as they just wee everywhere and rip it all up.

Sorry fussy bunny mummy but I want to make sure they are happy!

Helen x

if the temp. is at 20 deg. C, no problem, even 17 deg. C is okay. Check their ear, see if it's cold. If it is always cold, move up 1 deg. C, repeat the above until their ear is quite often warm, or always warm.

I have high doubts it is colder in your house than what it is outside where my bunnies spend their winter. I'm sure they'll be fine;) Rabbits are very good at handling the cold, particularly if they are used to it already, then heat may well be a bigger problem.

Thanks I thought i was probably being over cautious. I'll leave them as they are and only give them straw if they have cold ears all the time :)

They should be fine indoors, we pop snugglesafes in the hutches for the outdoor boarders in the winter and find that even when we're freezing they can sometimes be too much for a bun as they seem to do really well at keeping themselves warm.

Mine have their towels in their cage but at the moment all they do is roll them up into a ball in the middle and lay on the floor of the cage. Now they are toilet trained they don't wee on them but when they used
to I just washed them. I think it's nice for them to have the option :D

Keeping house bunnies cool is more of a problem I think as we have the heating on and they don't need it due to their fur coat - it is sooooo much warmer indoors even with no heating on than it is outside, so you don't need to worry :)

They should be fine. The only thing that might cause a problem are drafty doors near their cage and cold floors if they have the run of the house. We have cold floors so I provide carboard houses and so on for them to sit in, although sooty prefers the combination of cold floor and radiator :roll:

Back