• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent Advice Needed.

RUSSIANBEAR

Warren Scout
Posted on behalf of one of my friends bunnies

"I think my rabbit Toby has had another stroke last night and is not really able to use his back legs. Before I make the decision to have him put to sleep I would like to see what my options are and what I can do. When I got up this morning he looked twisted, with his back legs leaning to one side and his front to the other. At first I thought he had broken his back because of how he was pulling himself around the floor. He seemed ok when I put him back to his feet again but did loose balance on his back legs a couple of times but generally seemed ok in himself. I know his lost strength in his back legs but not sure what to do about it.

I will take him to the vets but they will probably just want to put him to sleep due to his age. If that’s the only option then I am ok with that, but I just wanted to double check what my options where before I did."

Please can anyone offer any suitable thoughts.

could be a number of things like rear paralysis, floopy rabbit syndrome, EC:? many rabbits have recovered from a stroke, what makes her think its another one? are his eyes flickering?

The Vet may suggest a trial of an anti-inflammatory to see if it is inflammation in the spine (arthritis) causing compression on the spinal cord and consequent loss of 'power' to the hind legs.
But first the Vet would need to do some basic neurological examinations such as testing the Buns 'feeling' in his back feet and his reflexes.

EC can cause hind leg paralysis but this is usually gradual in onset rather than acute. If the Bun is happy within himself, not stressed and is eating and pooing OK then I dont think a Vet would just say 'PTS' without attempting some sort of treatment.

Janex

I asked this, as I too use MK veterinary group. I use the vets in Walnut tree (hospital) The vets are all very good there, but there is one young female vet I think her name is Beth.Who is very knowable and very caring to the bunnies.
All the best and I hope Toby gets better soon.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Denny - There is actually nothing wrong with his eyes....

according to the rabbitlopedia book, signs of a stroke are Loss of balance, flickering of the eyes from side to side and a sudden onset of head tilt. This symptoms are also similar to head tilt so a vet should be consulted to establish whether this be a case of head tilt or a stroke. It doesn't really mention that there could be lack of use in his feet so I would be inclined to lean against different diagnosis:? It could be a number of things really but EC has soo many symtoms that the vet should really treat straight away for all things possible ie: panacur for EC, metacam for pain, I would even treat for potassium deficiency with banana's and Vitamin e as the infor on vit e is very informative along side potassium deficiency. I would definately have an X ray done though to check his spin etc;)

Thanks for the response i will find out.

Anyone else got any thoughts/suggestions on this?

Please....

When Leo had a stroke (he's had 2 now :cry: ) he did not have flicking eyes but abnormal pupil responses. This is very evident straight away so I am sure any Vet would spot this symptom.
Leo has coped very well despite now being virtually blind, so even a stroke does not *have* to mean the end

Please keep us posted on this little Bunny :)

Janex

according to the rabbitlopedia book, signs of a stroke are Loss of balance, flickering of the eyes from side to side and a sudden onset of head tilt.

Nystagmus which is the medical term for flickering of the eyes will only occur in any intracerebral condition if there is damage to the Vestibular part of the Acoustic nerve which is part of the 8th Cranial nerve. This is located within the brain stem.

Nystagmus which is the medical term for flickering of the eyes will only occur in any intracerebral condition if there is damage to the Vestibular part of the Acoustic nerve which is part of the 8th Cranial nerve. This is located within the brain stem.

sorry janice, could you put that in laymans terms so that everyone else that is not medically minded can understand it:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you for your advice. I have passed this information onto them....I will let you know what they decide is for the best.

Update .

Toby is doing fine. It has been gradual, as his now on his side when laying down often as he probably can’t balance very well (and probably more comfortable that way) appose to sitting. He also sits on his bottom with he feet stretched in front rather then sit on his legs and feet like most rabbits do. Wether this is what he finds comfortable or wether it has something to do with this condition I don’t know. I am going to see if out vet is opened late evenings so I can get him in.

Back