• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is there such a thing as an abortion for buns?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
I was wondering if your bun became pregnant at 12 weeks old, would the vet be able to do an abortion to stop them from being born?

I think the only option is a spay.... Any form of General Aneasthetic is risky for buns. I am fairly certain that a spay would be only option but they would need to be older than 12 weeks. Someone who knows more will tell you! x

If you spay the bunny early in pregnancy it could. But I'm not sure if you can abort them any other way...
A school bunny spontaniously aborted her litter two weeks into pregnancy once, and "gave birth" to an undeveloped baby rabbit:cry: But back then we had nothing to do with the abortion.

My idiot work collegue who has two rabbits and a guinea pig (I'm working on that one) refuse to believe that her male needs neutering. I eventually persuaded her to get her female spayed and apparently she was pregnant (not sure how long gone)when they did so. So effectively she had an abortion.

ok. i was just wondering because if either Milly or Molly is a boy, i don't know what'll I do. I always have a thing at the back of my mind about their gender.

but you got them from a rescue didn't you? the rescue should have been able to sex them so you should be able to relax:D
A spey is the best option in a pregnant bun..also stops the risk of uterine cancer later in their life...some vets will neuter a bun aslong as they have reached at least 1kg in weight and are healthy...
if you are really worried ask the rescue if they were vet checked or take them to a vet yourself and get the vet to sex them..perhaps when they have their jabs? they are old enough for their mxyi vacs now:D

Last edited:
I did get them from a rescue. I was going to go to take them to the vet in three weeks time to get their vacs, by that time, they'll be 12 weeks old, so I'll get them sexed then. Thanks everyone.

I did get them from a rescue. I was going to go to take them to the vet in three weeks time to get their vacs, by that time, they'll be 12 weeks old, so I'll get them sexed then. Thanks everyone.

I would seriosly consider getting them vaccinated for Myxomatosis *now*
There is such a bad outbreak of Myxo nationwide this year and unvaccinated Buns dont really stand a chance of surviving it should they contract it :cry:

Janex

some vets offer a free nurse clinics, like just check ups fo ryour pet if nothing is wrong with them, weight checks etc, we took peanut butter and jelly to one when we first got them just to double check they were boy and girl. they lived seperatly so it wasnt in worry of breeding, i just wanted to be sure cus i didnt want to find out they werent what i was told.

alot of vet practises do it, maybe thats an idea? P.S if you check them... even though you might now know what to dlook for, they should both look the same really, so you could check yourself if you are unsure

My bun had his myxi vaccination at 9 weeks old, a week after I got him (assuming that he was actually 8 weeks when I got him from the petshop :roll: )

This is a perfect example of my previous thread about getting a bun to the vets when first having it. If this person wasn't on RU then there could very well be babies way too early severely affecting the health of them all. Going in 3 weeks when you have doubts the sexes are right isn't really a very good plan and I'm glad you're going next week instead. At least you can confirm what they are, I just don't know why a vets visit for that reason isn't higher up the priorities. Who wants babies from baby rabbits!

Vets mis-sex too though... There is a thread about a vet who tried to spay a male rabbit, actually opened him up and only realised something was wrong when they didn't find a womb. Vets aren't always right!

Back