• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hot ears?????? Really worried

catswhiskas

Warren Veteran
Hi there I have noticed that Caramel has hot ears... noticed it last night and just now (have come down to attend to a cat flap intruder who has caused hysteria amongst my cats :roll: ). Is this a sign of anything (please not myxi:cry: )????? I am really really worried. Could it just be that she has come inside and i used to being outside, so it is the temperature change. We don't have any heating on but its still warmer inside????

Hi ,

When I got the twins, they were living outside in the mountains at 1000 meter. They were 3 months old when I moved them to Geneva, where its a lot warmer offcourse. They did breath quite heavy and always had very warm ears. I started putting frozen waterbotles in their cage and they really like cuddling up against them, no more heavy breathing or hot ears now.

We notices that they are only really comfortable around 23 degrees celcius. From 24 or upwards, the heavy breathing starts.

When you are really worried, you could try the frozen bottle.

I believe rabbits lose a lot of heat through their ears which is why they often feel hot to the touch.

No experience with myxi, I think it is just the adaption, from moving into the house, as I said before, we noticed a real difference between 23 and 24 degrees, so even when it is not that much warmer inside, it is perfectly possible....

If you wanted to cool her downyou could also wipe a wet flannel over her ears thats what the vet told me to do this morning (floss has hot ears) i think it is actually helping

No it's not a sign of myxi, I guess when buns are feeling run down they can run a tempreture.

But I really think it's nothing to worry about, when I had my sisters bun stay with me their ears felt really hot, but that was because they were used to being outside so had think coats and were a bit hot.

Phew cheers Lou.... you are a star :D :D :D Caramel is doing good tongiht. She came and sat on my knee and we watched Hollyoaks together earlier. She is just wonderful :love: :love:

Awww bless her :love: sounds like you are both comforting each other!

Good episode of hollyoaks too :D especially when Max turned on Claire at the end :lol:

My bunnies' ears are definitely much warmer since they became house bunnies. The only time they get cold is when they are ill (going into stasis), as they lose their temperatures then. But when they are at their healthiest their ears are lovely and warm. :)

My Peter rabbit goes from one to the other i found that he has hot ears on a morning and cold on a night :roll: But touch wood he has always been like that and its never bothered him.

Back