• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! My Rabbit Is At The Vet

Liloupricou

Young Bun
Hi all,

Little Tiny hasn't been very well the last 2 days (didn't really it anything, was verty quiet), so we took him to the Vet. We just move 2 months ago so it was a new vet for us.

When the vet wanted to check his teeth, he asked the nurse to give him a hand, I don't know why he didn't ask my husband who was there. They took the rabbit in an other room, and then my husband heard a scream, it was Tiny he's injured his back can move his back legs. They kept him at the surgery and we have to wait tomorrow morning to find out if his going to be able to walk again or if we have to say good bye to him.

I'm heartbroken... it's my little one my love, he's was fine few days ago. I don't know what's happened at all. He didn't fall of the table or anything, so how come?

Is someone know what could have happened?
Is he going to be able to walk again? If he's not in pain but can't use his back legs can we keep him as he is?

Please help me I don't know what to think or do?

Oh dear :cry:

Unfortunately Rabbits can suffer spontaneous fractures of the spine. A hard 'thump' with a hind leg can be all it takes. This would be due to 'soft bones' -Osteoporosis

If your Rabbit has a spinal fracture that has damaged the spinal cord then he may never regain use of his hind legs.
But *sometimes* severe inflammation can cause a temporary paralysis which will slowly resolve as the injury heals and anti-inflammatories or steroids are given.

Some Rabbits can still have a good quality life despite severe disability. But others find all the 'hands on' nursing care too stressful.
Each Buns situation has to be dealt with on an individual basis

*If* Tiny were to be left permanently disabled but was able to cope with all the nursing care then I would urge you to PM Jaypot on here as she has a lot of experience in caring for Disabled Rabbits

I do hope Tiny will recover

Janex

Oh my gosh, that is so awful! I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you, but I'm so sorry this happened! I hope all turns out ok for your little bun :cry: and I hope you're doing well too

Thinking of you please keep us informed. Lets hope it is nothing permanent. I have seen articles about disabled buns and as Jane said if they can handle the nursing then he could lead a happy life should the damage be more severe. xxxx

Oh that's awful :( And sadly not the first time I've heard of a rabbit's back being broken whilst at the vets :? It is hard to restrain a rabbit safely if they really struggle, and I would be furious to be honest - they could easily have wrapped him in a towel and got your husband to hold him - and of course as it was done in another room you have no idea of what really happened - how truly dreadful for you and your bunny :cry:

Thanks for your comments, I'm so furious after the vet. The nurse told me that she wrapped him in a towel and that he didn't fall or anything but yeah we were not there to see what really happened. I need to wait until tomorrow 9am before having more news it's ages away!

I'm so sorry.
It sounds like your initial problem may have been bowel stasis, if Tiny wasn't eating and was quiet. Was he grinding his teeth? Pooping? Have they given you any clue about what they thought the problem was?
I'm amazed the vet didn't have bun held by the familiar person. No bunny likes to be grabbed by two strangers.
I wish you all the luck and am sending good wishes for little Tiny.

Your poor rabbit (and you), I hope her recovers soon.

I hope the vet hasn't charged you for an injury they may have caused and I'd query it if they try to.

Lots of vibes

FC x

Firstly, I am so very sorry that this has happened :( You must be devestated:cry: :cry: :cry:

Now secondly - what Tiny will need is an x-ray (a conscious one) to see what damage has been done (and you should not have to pay for this as it was done whilst in the vets care). If the damage shows a break then it is really up to Tiny to see how he can cope - he may need full time care and help with his bladder emptying etc - if you cannot do this but he is willing to eat and be happy then I would take him and look after him for you:D

He could have damaged some ligaments, pulled on the spinal cord, torn muscles - so many things, but if there is any inflammation there then it can be helped with painkillers - this will take the pain away but also stop the inflammation and help him to either walk or hop around again. We have seen this many times with buns who have come here unable to walk and after lots of tlc have learnt to walk again:D

Don't let the vet tell you to have him put to sleep if you see spark in Tiny's eyes and hope there - if he wants to live he can - even if he is disabled.

Please have a look at our website to see what disabled buns can do and how happy they can be - www.ebonyeyes.co.uk

He may well just need time and nursing until he can move around again.

I am sending out all the positive and healing vibes that I can - please get better Tiny - xxxxx

Back