• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do when get new bun?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
I was wondering what to do when I get my new buns, eg. when to introduce them to the run, when to introduce them to the free-range of the garden, litter training, pellets. I know to put some soiled bedding into the litter tray to encourage them to go there but would this cause bottom problems, having soiled bedding around? I think the rescuer has them on unlimited pellets(because the bowl was full when I saw them!), so how do I decrease it? Over how many days? Is it wise to put vetbed onto the floor immediately, when they are not litter trained? If not, when should I introduce it? Any other help you can offer would be great. Thanks.

I didnt think any of those things through before I got Muppet!

I would set up the hutch and run for now and introduce them only to that first. They need to get used to their new surroundings, new routines and you. I would think going free range in the garden would be overload. For a start you want them to feel some kind of connection with you, to make it easier to catch them (or herd them) when it's time to come in.

I know to put some soiled bedding into the litter tray to encourage them to go there but would this cause bottom problems, having soiled bedding around?
For litter training, I would say put the tray in and get on with it from day 1. Unless you plan on sitting by them and scooping up every time they use the litter tray, there will be soiled bedding between litter changes anyway - relax!

Is it wise to put vetbed onto the floor immediately, when they are not litter trained?
Liquid drains through to the underside so they wouldnt be sat on damp bedding at first, only if you left it there continuously. So you'd have to wash it (twice a day?). I would think newspaper lining and straw or hay on top til they're mostly trained. A lino offcut under the newspaper will protect the floor and make the hutch easier to clean.

thanks. I have a hutch and a separate run so I introduce them slowly to the run after a day or two? Do you think I should just have newspaper and thin topping of hay on the floor until they get the hang of it, and then introduce the vetbed?, as I couldn't possibly wash it twice a day at 90C. :shock: And, what about the pellets? Do I gradually decrease it?

Last edited:
I was wondering if they really do need free range of our garden. Their hutch is 6ftx2ftx2ft and the run is 5ftx5ftx2ft. They are two mini rexes. They will be spending 9-14 hours in the run a day(depending on the time of sunset) and about 10-15 hours a day in the hutch (depending on the time of sunset). Is this ok? If they need time outside the run, should I harness them? How do I harness train them? And should I harness-walk them together or separately? And I will spend about 1-2 hours a day sitting with them and bonding with them in the run.

Sounds like they have plenty of space without run of the garden - although bunnies always like to explore :)

The rescuer said that I should give them as many pellets as they want until they are three months and then limit to one bowl a day. I personally would just like to give them a small bowl a day until they're three months and then a small handful morning and evening a day. Is this right?

As I understand it the rescue was correct to say let them have as much as they want whilst they're babies.

ok. So just fill up the bowl throughout the day but clean it out once a day. After three months, i'll gradually reduce it down to a handful morning and evening. And it's only another three weeks, cos they are 2 months and 1 week old, till I have to reduce it. And if i put down newspaper and hay onto hutch floor, will they get confused with that and the litter tray? Or should I put vetbed straight down onto the hutch floor?

Last edited:
I've seen quite a few threads on the 'unlimited food' for babies, and most people who run rescues etc. (I have no idea as I've never had baby bunnies) say to limit it, but give more than you would give to an adult rabbit, so I think your idea of a bowl full a day is fine, although I'd split it into 2 bowls so they don't squabble over it or hog it.

I have no idea about rex's flooring either, but I know baby buns are sometimes hard to litter train - depends if you find it easier to brush off a vetbed and wash it (put it in a knotted pillowcase or it will kill your washer!) or shovel out dirty litter (a good dustpan and brush are your best friend :) )

depends if you find it easier to brush off a vetbed and wash it (put it in a knotted pillowcase or it will kill your washer!) or shovel out dirty litter (a good dustpan and brush are your best friend :) )

i'll take out the dirty litter thanks. :lol: I have a bowl and a food ball so should I fill both so they have two sources to use? when they are three months, should I limit it to half a handful in each twice a day?

when preparing the pet carrier to bring them home in, what shall I put in it? I was thinking of newspaper, Carefresh, two towels, a water bottle, a bowl full of pellets, a hay ball, and a blanket to put over the basket to help keep them calm. It has no solid walls. It's just wire all the way around.

How long's the journey? If it's only a couple of hours or less I wouldn't bother with water or food, or the hayball - they will be too scared to eat and the bottle will drip everywhere. Has the carrier got a solid base or is it wire all round? I'm sure you'll want something absorbent anyway :)

I'd just put a folded towel into the bottom of the carrier and one over the top for cover. Anything else (including the rabbits) will just slide about and make a mess if you put carefresh, food, water etc in there as well. As long as you have the hutch already prepared when you get back home, you can pop them straight in it to settle and munch on some hay/food and they should be fine.

Sounds good to me. It might be a good idea to take a bottle of water (rabbit bottle!) or normal bottle of water and a bowl with you in case you get stuck in traffic or break down or somethnig. They probably won't want to eat or drink in an hour or so, but if you're stuck for any length of time, you'll need some way to offer food/water.

Back