• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this a good litter tray???

hi!

Personally my buns did not like the corner ones. They have two large cat litter trays and that suits them fine. I would put the carefresh in the litter tray and then put a layer of hay on top. That should keep them happy. I'd be inclined to not put the carefresh on the bottom of the hutch, as it would be easier to sweep up and put in the litter tray whilst training. Also they may associate the carefresh with their litter tray and do poops all over! lol!

Mine has the corner one, and is fine with it, but make sure you get the bigger of the two (that one at the price has to be the smaller) if your bunny isn't small as they hang over the edge lol

thanks. what shall i put on the flor of the hutch if I don't put any carefresh on the floor? And can a cat litter tray fit into a hutch?

Mine has a cat litter tray in his hutch but we use it for a bed not a litter tray so I would think so. I have seen ppl on here with cat litter trays.

I use the corner trays, I think each rabbit is different with what they prefer to use! You can always try it and then move to a different kind if they don't get on with it. I like this type because they are very deep, just make sure you have something that they can't wee over the top of! I would agree with only having the litter in the tray because of associating it with toileting. My buns have megazorb and hay in the trays and no other bedding or anything, just a hay rack near the trays too. You could always try vet bed for outside the trays? Mine would eat it :roll: but I know a lot of buns are fine with it!They might need extra warmth if they are outdoors.

thanks bailey. I like the idea of the vetbed. Would I have to wash it every week or so for example? What should I use whilst litter training?

thanks bailey. I like the idea of the vetbed. Would I have to wash it every week or so for example? What should I use whilst litter training?

I think it depends on how much they soil it. Maybe have a couple of pieces so one can be in the hutch and another in the wash? From what I have read on here, the urine soaks down into the vet bed, so the surface stays drier. Are you getting babies or rescues? If you are getting a pair from a rescue then you might be lucky and they could already be trained. I was very pleasently suprised that my rescue bun used it straight away! My bun I got as a baby was not so easy :lol: I'm not sure whether you could use the vet bed while litter training, if they wee on it and it smells of wee then they might keep doing it there? :? Don't clean litter trays too well while you are training. I would empty mine, disinfect every few days and when I refilled it I would put a little of the old wet bedding back in with a few droppings so he didn't forget that he was supposed to be using it! Neutering helped him sooo much and my carpets are no longer covered in his poos! It can be frustrating, but stick with it, he wasn't very good with it for ages and then it was like he suddenly got it and has been fine since :)

Oh I just read your signature and it says a neutered pair, :oops: I should have noticed that! Maybe you will be lucky and they will already be trained :)

Last edited:
I have one of the bigger corner litter trays and I have put newspaper and hay on top in it. On the rest of the cage they have newspaper. And yes, they're are getting to use it properly now!

Oh , I use newspaper cause bedding here is really expensive.

My litter tray cost me 10 euros, I would think that is about 8 pounds!

yep i have two cat litter trays in my hutch! It works very well - that area is the toilet end.

As others have said you can leave the rest of the hutch with no bedding - as long as there is a snuggly place to sleep in the winter - like hay/vetbed/straw etc. I have no bedding anywhere else in my hutch apart from a piece of carpet on the bottom near where they eat, lino on the top floor - easier to wipe clean and then lots of hay in their bedroom in the winter.

i'm thinking of having a cat litter tray on the far side of the hutch and vetbed on the rest of the living area, and then newspaper, and hay in their bedroom. is this ok? Will they go in the litter tray from the start or do I have to wait until they tell me where they want to go toilet?

My bunnies have moved outside into a big hutch. They had a corner tray inside but the lid broke so at the moment they have 2 cat trays with lip edged as it stops them peeing over the edge. I put a newspaper, layer of Carefresh and Hay in each tray. They went in one tray straight away, the other one I moved into the bedroom area as they kept going in there and it seems to work well now. They rest of the hutch has some vet bed and they have some more hay in a half hanging basket.

I use cat litter trays also,At least one should fit in your hutch if it is a good size.I personally never used the corner trays.I have litter trained all my rabbits so far,But Violet and Bugs are going to need an under the bed storage box soon as they are getting so big!:lol:

im using two corner trays one is in the original place he went the loo before i added the pen and its never used anyomre so i just put hay in it, one is in the living room (next door to alvins room) he only seems to pee in it and poos all around it (thank god for the handheld vac) and i have a bottom to a hamster cage as his main litter tray in his cage which seems to work well... i think maybe hes getting too big for the corner litter trays

Will they go in the litter tray from the start or do I have to wait until they tell me where they want to go toilet?

This may be a bit gross... but you can always take a little plastic bag and bring some soiled bedding and droppings home with you when you collect them. Put it in the tray, make sure they have seen where it is and hopefully this will help? I was going to do this when I got my girl, but I forgot in the excitement. Luckily she used the tray straight away anyway :)

the other thing you can do is just keep putting the poos etc in the tray whenever you can. They might cotton on that way.

Back