• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice needed ASAP U/D we went to Vet!

toadflaxbex

Warren Scout
My little man is acting really weird. To you guys all what i am about to say my sound not weird but to me it is strange behaviour. Earlier on I went to see Otus in his Run and he was spawled out like he always does when he is in there. Anyway he didn't move when i went down at first but then did but went back to the same position, i put it down to just relaxing, but thought it was different behaviour to normal as he would normally start belting about.
Anyway went down stairs at 8 to put him in hutch and feed him and he let me cuddle him for absolutely ages with no scratches, another odd behaviour, usually he scrambles about at first.
We put him in the hutch and he went straight downstairs, avoiding his bowl of pellets, usually he dives straight into them.
I sat with him for 20 mins willing him to go eat and he didn't. Went in doors and left him for 15 mins and went out and still no food eaten. trust me this is odd behaviour. Anyway we bought him in to his in doors cage so i can keep an eye on him.

He has just weee'd and poo'd quite a lot of poo actually and then sprawled out in it. He had an accident and the poo was all over the floor and before I had chance to clean it up he was lying in it.
Usually he just hunches up when he is sleeping or relaxing but he is full on stretching his legs out which is strange behaviour for him.
OH thought he may just have got hot outside, do you think that may be or do you think summut wrong with him as I am really worried.

Last edited:
Is he steady on his feet when he moves about? Is his tummy distended in anyway or hard to the touch?

I know when my bun is not feeling well, he will lie stretched out then get up and move to another area after a few minutes and he tends to breathe heavier/faster. Another sign is if he does not take food when I spot anything out of character with him. Keep tempting your bun with food, he may just be having an off day (mine does that too to keep me on my toes) I hope he is OK. Any doubts at all, take him to the vet.

Does sound like stasis or gas, although now he's done some poo he might improve soon - have you got any infacol?

Try to get him moving around as that will help his tummy. I put Benny at the other end of the patio when he was like this, and he was so keen to get back home he ran up the patio, then did a load of poo and started looking better.

If he doesn't improve he will need the emergency vets for painkillers and a check over - you can always phone the out of hours number for advice. Hope he improves soon :)

On the occasions that mine has been ill and not putting me to the test (usually know within 15-30 mins), I have taken him to the emergency vets and they sorted him out. Any doubts, ring the vets immediately and seek their advice.

I have just been to check. I am not sure if is he steady on his feet as everytime he gets up or gets out of litter tray he just lies down. Tummy doesn't feel really hard. i am not sure how a normal tummy should feel :'(

He is pooing loads, i mean loads more than normal. he goes in his litter tray gets out, goes on his vet bed then just lies in it :'(

It sounds to me as if he has a tummyache - my Heather does a similar thing - sits down as normal like she is relaxing but somehow her posture isn't quite right. They often either lay out, or sit with their belly pushed into the floor if they have tummyache to try and relieve the pain. Often they won't eat when in pain either - and that can make it a vicious circle because not eating leads to a bacteria build up in the gut which can cause more pain...

The fact that he has pooed is a good sign that his gut is still moving, but without wanting to alarm you, this sort of thing can get very serious very quickly if the bun doesn't eat for any length of time. If you have some infacol, it wouldn't hurt to give him a couple of ml of that, and keep him warm (indoors and have you got something like a hot water bottle for him to lie near to) but I'd really suggest you try and get him to a vet as it sounds as if he needs some painkiller and something to stimulate his gut to get working again. Sometimes these things resolve themselves but often they don't and if you wait and see, it might be too late :(

Good luck, please keep us posted xx

I have just been to check. I am not sure if is he steady on his feet as everytime he gets up or gets out of litter tray he just lies down. Tummy doesn't feel really hard. i am not sure how a normal tummy should feel :'(

I would contact your Vet for advice as if there is a problem its better to act sooner rather than later.
If he is pooing and weeing but seemingly unwilling to stand up and is not eating ( a sure sign of pain) he may have hurt his back or hind legs,

Janex

Not that i can hear... Can you hear it? Sorry i am a learner.I called the vet and he said if he is going to the toilet he may have stasis... what is that? i am not sure or cholicy pain he said. So he said if still like it in the morning to take him in to be checked. i am really worried, but i guess vet says he will be ok over night :'(

Do you have a Tesco express or 24 hr supermarket near you where you can pick up some infacol? It may help allieviate any wind he has overnight.

I would contact your Vet for advice as if there is a problem its better to act sooner rather than later.
If he is pooing and weeing but seemingly unwilling to stand up and is not eating ( a sure sign of pain) he may have hurt his back or hind legs,

Janex
I think his legs are ok as he is hopping to and from his litter tray. Also when i first put him in his hutch he ran down the ramp, and when i was trying to get him out he ran back up it, as didn't want to be caught. So his movement seems ok and isn't limp or anything.

i said to the vet are you sure he will be ok over night, he said he should be and to take him in the morning if still not eaten. I hate this :'(

What is infacol where do i get it from?

Its given to babies who have colic and its safe for bunnies too. The dose is around 2mls and they tend to like the taste. Most supermarkets sell it.

from what ive been told by the vets it sounds like exsessive gas,they told me just hay and water for 24 hrs nothing else,hope this helps.

It's usually with the baby stuff. You can also give quarter of a soluble asprin dissolved in 100ml water and a splash of pineapple juice for the pain - have you done syringing before, and have you got a syringe? If not, he might take it from the drinking bottle if you hold it to his mouth. Some people use 2ml of infant calpol instead of asprin - must be the infant version though.

Sounds like what Pringle had at the weeknd and that took two days to cure and hes just getting back to himself now, Infacol s great though and i would go to the vet in the morning for pain killers, hope he is ok and sending lots of vibes xx

Does sound like stasis or gas, although now he's done some poo he might improve soon - have you got any infacol?

Try to get him moving around as that will help his tummy. I put Benny at the other end of the patio when he was like this, and he was so keen to get back home he ran up the patio, then did a load of poo and started looking better.

I followed this advice a few weeks ago when one of my girls was displaying the same behaviour as your rabbit.
I warmed up the snugglesafe (can use a warm hot water bottle) and sat with her on top of it on my lap. I gave her tummy rubs whilst OH raced out for infacol, and within half an hour she started to pick up. I really hope this works for your rabbit, else you'll need an early appt. at the vet.
Good luck :)

Well I tried the tummy rub and whilst doing it I thought i heard him grinding his teeth. not sure if i was hearing things as i had been reading about it. Just sounded like he was eating hay but he wasn't.
Anyway in the end called vet back and he said to take him in. Just as about to put him in carrier he started eating Arrrghhh lol so took him anyway and he gave him a jab and said it was probs a tummy upset/cholic so that was that. Bought him home and he dove straight into the pellets.
£92 it cost but at least he seems better now!
Thank you everyone for your advice!!!

Back