• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Safe wood?

nikirushka

New Kit
Hi all, I've just joined - no rabbits myself but I have a friend moving in with me in a few months with two, a grey/white dwarf lop doe and a gorgeous little black netherland buck (I think!).

As I can't fit them in indoors beyond temporarily for winter, we're going to build an enormous aviary for them (gives me an excuse to get finches.... :lol: ). By enormous I'm talking about 15-20 feet long and around 12 feet wide. Big garden :D

Anyhoo, I digress... I'm in the middle of clearing trees, and need to know - is privet safe for rabbits? I have a 60ft long hedge of giant privet plants (~20ft high), and I'd like to save the branches for the aviary - for the birds mostly, but I've got so many they could be turned into bunny log cabins!

I've already been told they aren't safe for rats (I have 18 indoors, hence the lack of space - well, that and rabbit-eating dogs :shock: ) so I'm getting the feeling rabbits is a no-no too.

Thoughts anyone?

Brilliant, thanks. Clematis isn't on the list anywhere - is that safe? The aviary's going up against one end of a garage (built randomly in the garden for some reason), I'm going to grow some clematis up the side over netting to cover it up. I know it's safe for finches so I'm going to let it grow through the aviary mesh, should I keep it cut above the buns' reach?

ETA: Woops! Scratch that, didn't look down far enough :oops:

Back